Mad Anmts Hold off Drive to Reclaim First Place in Central
Grand Rapids, Mich. - Dec. 20, 2014- The Fort Wayne Mad Ants (8-7) clamped down on defense Saturday with a 92-83 victory over the Grand Rapids Drive (6-6). The Mad Ants are now 5-2 in their last seven games. The 83 points marked a season low for the Drive.
The win moves the Mad Ants into first place in the division following the Iowa Energy's loss to the Erie BayHawks. Grand Rapids falls to one game out of first.
It was a close battle throughout, as neither team was able to build a decisive lead until late. The score was tied after the first quarter and the Drive lead by one at halftime.
However, the Mad Ants turned up the defensive intensity in the second half, continuing the trend from the teams' last meetings of forcing the Drive to commit turnovers. The Drive could not get any offense going, and it showed on the score sheet, as they put up just 15 points.
Grand Rapids also played stellar defense in the third and trimmed the deficit down to four by the start of the final quarter, but it was not enough as Fort Wayne held the lead and outplayed the Drive in the fourth, leading by as much as 13.
Both teams get a break for the holidays before their next contests, which both come on the 27th. The Drive will host the Westchester Knicks, and the Mad Ants will head to Des Moines to play the Iowa Energy.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 20, 2014
- Warriors Shut Down the Stampede in Weekend Double-Header - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stampede Defeated by Santa Cruz 120-97 - Idaho Stampede
- RGV Vipers Fall to Canton 110-100 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- BayHawks Bounce Back with Home Win over Energy - Erie BayHawks
- Mad Anmts Hold off Drive to Reclaim First Place in Central - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Hang on to Win 7th Straight - Maine Red Claws
- Iowa Energy Fall to Erie BayHawks - Iowa Wolves
- Westchester Knicks Remain Winless on the Road - Westchester Knicks
- D-Fenders Acquire Zach Andrews - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Muscala Recalled - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Grant Jerrett Assigned to NBA D-League's Oklahoma City Blue - G League
- Grant Jerrett Assigned to Oklahoma City Blue - Oklahoma City Blue
- Russ Smith Recalled - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.