Renaldo Major Becomes the All-Time Leading Scorer in NBA D-League History
BAKERSFIELD, CA - Renaldo Major became the NBA D-League's All-Time Scoring Leader Friday night in a 135-131 loss to the Reno Bighorns. Major recorded 26 points on the night, surpassing the previous record of 4,324 points held by Fort Wayne Mad Ants guard Ron Howard. This is Major's second time holding the all-time scoring title, as he achieved this honor back in December of 2012.
"I'm thankful to be the NBA D-League scorer of all-time," said Major. "I love the D-League and I love the fans. I credit this honor to my coaches and teammates who have put me in scoring situations, as well as their assistance throughout my career."
The 32-year old forward joined the Bakersfield Jam in 2011 in a draft day trade with the Dakota Wizards (now the Santa Cruz Warriors). An eight-year D-League veteran, Major's honors include: GATORADE Call-Up to the Golden State Warriors (2006-07), NBA D-League All-Star Selection (2006-07), NBA D-League Defensive Player of the Year (2006-07), All-NBA D-League First Team Selection (2006-07), All-NBA D-League Honorable Mention (2011-12, 2012-13) and All-NBA D-League Showcase Honorable Mention (2012-13). During his call-up at Golden State, Major played in one game for the Warriors and had five points, two rebounds and two steals in 27 minutes of action.
"Everyone with the Jam is happy that the scoring title is back in Renaldo's possession," said General Manager Bubba Burrage. "To accumulate that amount of points is one thing, but he's also accumulated a lot of admirers along the way; myself included. He's a terrific player, an awesome teammate and one heck of a human being. He deserves everything good that comes his way."
Major was a member of the 2013 NBA D-League Select Team at NBA Summer League and a member of the 2008 Miami Heat Summer League team. Additionally, Major participated in training camp for the Los Angeles Clippers in 2011.
A Chicago, Illinois native, Major won a bronze medal with the USA Basketball Men's Pan American Games Team. He's also played professionally in Finland, Puerto Rico and Mexico.
"Renaldo means so much to this team," said Head Coach Nate Bjorkgren. "This accomplishment goes further than the points. I am extremely proud to have the opportunity to coach him. His approach, focus, and work ethic is valuable for everyone around him. This honor is well deserved."
Along with his D-League record of 4,333 points (and counting), Major holds the league's all-time record for win shares (35.4) and free throws made (1,303). He's also closing in on other league records: total steals (2^nd-415), field goals made (3^rd-1,474) and total rebounds (7^th-1,371).
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 6, 2014
- Blue Comeback Falls Short in Overtime - Oklahoma City Blue
- BayHawks Never Trail in Win over Drive - Erie BayHawks
- Iowa Energy Win Exciting Home Opener - Iowa Wolves
- Vipers Corral Idaho Stampede 135-123 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Red Claws Set 2 Records, Frazier Records Triple-Double in 122-114 - Maine Red Claws
- Charge Streak Stopped by Mad Ants - Canton Charge
- Jordan Clarkson Re-Assigned to NBA D-League's L.A. D-Fenders - G League
- Jordan Clarkson Re-Assigned to D-Fenders - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Austin Spurs Fight Truancy with ScoutsviewSports.com and LT Preparatory Academy - Austin Spurs
- Boston Celtics Assign Powell and Young to NBA D-League's Maine Red Claws - G League
- Boston Celtics Assign Powell and Young to Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Atlanta Hawks Assign Muscala to NBA D-League's Fort Wayne Mad Ants - G League
- Bighorns Out-Shoot the Jam in Overtime Game - Reno Bighorns
- Jam Lose a Close One in OT - Bakersfield Jam
- D-Fenders Fall Short to Warriors at Home - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Renaldo Major Becomes the All-Time Leading Scorer in NBA D-League History - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.