Rainiers Drop Series Opener To Dodgers, 3-0
TACOMA, Wash. - Despite another strong outing from Ross Detwiler, the Tacoma Rainiers (53-55) fell to the Oklahoma City Dodgers (59-47) by a final score of 3-0 Wednesday night at Cheney Stadium.
Detwiler (2-5) allowed just two runs and six hits across six innings while striking out a pair of Oklahoma City batters. The performance was his sixth quality start of the season and moved him into sole possession of second-most on the Rainiers behind right-handers Christian Bergman (7) and Rob Whalen (7).
Both right fielder John Andreoli and catcher David Freitas reached base three times Wednesday night and drew a combined six walks. Third baseman Seth Mejias-Brean (1x4), designated hitter Daniel Vogelbach (1x4) and second baseman Adam Law (1x3) tallied Tacoma's only hits of the contest. Mejias-Brean's second-inning single extended his hitting streak to a team-leading 11 games.
Right-handers Tyler Higgins (1.0), Ryan Cook (1.0) and Shawn Armstrong (1.0) allowed one run across three innings of relief against the Dodgers. The trio of relievers has combined for a 1.80 ERA in 2018 and 64 strikeouts since June 1.
The Rainiers and Dodgers return to action Thursday night for game two of the current three-game series. Right-hander Rob Whalen (7-4, 4.45) will get the start for Tacoma and righty Zach Neal (2-2, 3.52) will be on the hill for Oklahoma City.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2018 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 2, 2018
- Bunt single awards Nashville with a 2-1 walk-off win over Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Walk off on Grizzlies to Clinch Series - Nashville Sounds
- Tables Turn as Salt Lake Blanks Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Woodford Dynamite; Garcia, Wisdom Provide Punch in 4-0 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- River Cats bats silenced as Redbirds even series - Sacramento River Cats
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Fresno Grizzlies (63-46) at Nashville Sounds (53-55) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 2, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 51s Announce 2019 Home Schedule in the New Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas 51s
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Colorado Springs - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (68-41) vs Sacramento River Cats (45-64) - Memphis Redbirds
- Home Dates for Storm Chasers' 2019 Season Announced - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Walk but Can't Run Against Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Rally Falls Short in 10-9 Loss to Aces - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Rainiers Drop Series Opener To Dodgers, 3-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces, Vargas Continue Streaks in Game One vs. Colorado Springs - Reno Aces
- Round Rock at Albuquerque Suspended Due to Inclement Weather - Round Rock Express
- Chihuahuas Win on Lopez Homer - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso Strikes for Two in 8th to Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Ashley Schutt Named Pacific Coast League Woman Executive of the Year
- 2018 Tacoma Rainiers Season Review
- Tacoma Rainiers and Seattle Mariners Announce Four-Year Extension of Player Development Contract
- Rainiers Wrap Season With 5-4 Victory Over Chihuahuas
- Rainiers Toppled By Chihuahuas, 9-4