RailRiders Split Double Dip
TOLEDO, OH - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders set the tone early Friday night with 10 runs and 13 hits in the opener, but a dominant pitching by the Toledo Mud Hens stifled the SWB offense as the two teams split Friday's doubleheader at Fifth Third Field.
Game one belonged to the RailRiders, with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre opening up a 7-0 lead in the top of the 6th inning before the Mud Hens rallied to put five runs on the board over the final two frames. The first game featured a two-run home run by Brad Miller in the 2nd inning to give the RailRiders a 2-0 lead. An inning later, Mike Ford hit a ball out of Fifth Third Field entirely that skittered between two warehouses in right field, enjoying the rest of the evening out on the town in Downtown Toledo. Consecutive doubles by Breyvic Valera and Mike Tauchman plated another run, with a sac fly from Miller extending the lead as Miller touched the plate.
The 5-0 lead through 2.5 innings was more than enough for Adonis Rosa who shone over the first six innings. Though tagged for five runs (three earned runs), he controlled the game and allowed the RailRiders to settle in and grow their early lead. Entering the final inning, he hadn't allowed an earned run and SWB wanted to see him complete his night with a complete game effort. Cale Coshow entered instead and stuck out Harold Castro to put the finishing touches on the victory 10-5.
In game two, Toledo scored four times with two outs in the top of the 4th inning, en route to a 5-0 win. Tim Adelman allowed just one hit over 6.0 shutout innings before handing the ball off to Zac Houston for the final frame. The game marked the first time in 2019 that the RailRiders were shutout. The only two hits in the game came from Ryan Lavarnway (1-for-3) and Logan Morrison (1-for-3).
The RailRiders and Mud Hens return to action Saturday night with a 5:05 p.m. first pitch as RHP Brody Koerner (0-0, 9.00) takes the ball for SWB in his second start of the season in Triple-A. Pregame coverage with Adam Marco and Adam Giardino begins at 4:35 p.m. on the RailRiders Radio Network.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Hens Split Doubleheader with RailRiders - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Split Double Dip - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Whip Pawtucket 7-5 for Seventh Straight Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Robinson, Craig Go Yard as Indians Ride by Tides, 6-5 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Smoke Pigs 10-3 for 4th Straight Win - Charlotte Knights
- Rivera Homers Twice, But Mets Lose to Clippers, 14-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Lose on Walk-Off Passed Ball, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Best Red Wings in Series Opener - Durham Bulls
- Knights blast four home runs in win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pedroia Begins Rehab Assignment in Loss to Stripers - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-19) - Indianapolis Indians
- Hartlieb Has Contract Selected by Pittsburgh - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Maestro Paul Ferington Returns to Lead BPO at Bisons July 3rd KeyBank Independence Eve Celebration, Concert Set List Announced - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - May 21-27 - Rochester Red Wings
- Pigs Announce Two On-Field Movie Nights - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Red Wings Back Home May 21-27 - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-23) at Buffalo Bisons (14-22) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Statement on Yankees New Minor League Affiliation Structure
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns