Pedroia Begins Rehab Assignment in Loss to Stripers
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - Thanks to three home runs and some clutch pitching, the Gwinnett Stripers (25-16) took game one of this three-game set with the Pawtucket Red Sox (14-24) by a 7-5 final.
In the first game of his rehab assignment, Dustin Pedroia started at second base and batted third. He went 1-for-3 with a single, a strikeout looking and a groundout. Pedroia scored from first base on a double to the right-center field gap by Sam Travis. He played five innings in the field at second base, but he did not see any action.
The PawSox got to Stripers starter Kolby Allard early. Rusney Castillo opened the scoring in the first inning with an RBI single to left. The next batter, Josh Ockimey, lifted a sacrifice fly to bring home Pawtucket's second run.
Gwinnett responded with 5 runs in the second inning. Their first two runs came on a two-run home run from Travis Demerritte. Four batters later, Jack Lopez mashed a three-run shot to put the Stripers in front 5-2.
The Stripers' third home run came in the third inning. Adam Duvall belted an opposite-field home run to add to Gwinnett's lead.
But in the bottom half, Pawtucket got a run back on Travis' RBI double.
For a third consecutive inning, Gwinnett grabbed a run, this one coming after Adam Duvall drew a bases-loaded walk.
Then in the bottom of the fourth, Jantzen Witte hit a two-run, opposite-field home run to make it 7-5. The homer traveled 414 feet.
Continuing his respective rehab assignment, Brock Holt batted second and served as the designated hitter. He went 1-for-3 with a single, a run scored, a walk, and a strikeout.
PawSox starter Matthew Kent went just 3.1 innings giving up 6 hits and 7 earned runs.
After throwing 34 pitches in the first inning, Allard settled in nicely. He went 5.2 innings giving up 8 hits and 5 runs (4 earned). Allard walked 2 and struck out 3 while throwing a season-high 105 pitches.
The PawSox continue their three-game series with the Gwinnett Stripers tomorrow at 6:15 p.m. The game will be followed by post-game fireworks set to Broadway-style music. Pawtucket right-hander Teddy Stankiewicz (1-2, 3.00 ERA) is scheduled to oppose Stripers righty Patrick Weigel (NR). Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 5:45 p.m.
The homestand wraps up Sunday with another Family FUNday with a pre-game catch on the field from approximately 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and post-game Run the Bases for fans of all ages. Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Hens Split Doubleheader with RailRiders - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Split Double Dip - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Whip Pawtucket 7-5 for Seventh Straight Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Robinson, Craig Go Yard as Indians Ride by Tides, 6-5 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Smoke Pigs 10-3 for 4th Straight Win - Charlotte Knights
- Rivera Homers Twice, But Mets Lose to Clippers, 14-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Lose on Walk-Off Passed Ball, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Best Red Wings in Series Opener - Durham Bulls
- Knights blast four home runs in win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pedroia Begins Rehab Assignment in Loss to Stripers - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-19) - Indianapolis Indians
- Hartlieb Has Contract Selected by Pittsburgh - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Maestro Paul Ferington Returns to Lead BPO at Bisons July 3rd KeyBank Independence Eve Celebration, Concert Set List Announced - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - May 21-27 - Rochester Red Wings
- Pigs Announce Two On-Field Movie Nights - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Red Wings Back Home May 21-27 - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-23) at Buffalo Bisons (14-22) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.