Bulls Best Red Wings in Series Opener
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls rode big games from Nick Solak and Ryan Yarbrough to a 9-5 victory over the Rochester Red Wings Friday night at the DBAP. Yarbrough (2-0) recorded the victory for the Bulls, while Devin Smeltzer (0-1) suffered the loss for the Red Wings.
The Bulls got the scoring started in the second inning, thanks to an RBI-single from Solak to make it 1-0. Nick Ciuffo added to the lead with his first triple of the season to drive in Solak and take a 2-0 lead. The lead was short-lived for the Bulls, who allowed a two-run home run to Jake Cave, tying the game up at 2-2 in the top of the fourth.
However, Durham was able to shake off the Red Wings, beginning in the bottom of the fourth with a two-run home run by Solak to take a 4-2 lead. The Bulls added on in the bottom of the sixth, loading the bases and scoring on a wild pitch by Trevor Hildenberger to increase the lead to 5-2. Kean Wong helped put away the Red Wings with a two-run double, and Nate Lowe added another on an RBI-single to take an 8-2 lead.
Yarbrough delivered the Bulls fourth quality start of the year, pitching 6.0 innings, allowing four hits and two earned runs, while striking out a season-high 10 batters. The Bulls got enough out of their bullpen to secure the victory, despite allowing a three-run home run to Drew Maggi to cut the deficit to 8-5 in the seventh. A Jason Coats solo home run in the bottom of the seventh added an extra cushion by extending the lead to 9-5.
The Bulls play game two of a three-game series against the Red Wings at 6:35 Saturday night at the DBAP. Left-hander Ryan Merritt will take the hill for the Bulls and do battle against Red Wings left-hander Lewis Thorpe.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Hens Split Doubleheader with RailRiders - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Split Double Dip - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Whip Pawtucket 7-5 for Seventh Straight Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Robinson, Craig Go Yard as Indians Ride by Tides, 6-5 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Smoke Pigs 10-3 for 4th Straight Win - Charlotte Knights
- Rivera Homers Twice, But Mets Lose to Clippers, 14-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Lose on Walk-Off Passed Ball, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Best Red Wings in Series Opener - Durham Bulls
- Knights blast four home runs in win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pedroia Begins Rehab Assignment in Loss to Stripers - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-17) vs. Norfolk Tides (19-19) - Indianapolis Indians
- Hartlieb Has Contract Selected by Pittsburgh - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Maestro Paul Ferington Returns to Lead BPO at Bisons July 3rd KeyBank Independence Eve Celebration, Concert Set List Announced - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Louisville (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - May 21-27 - Rochester Red Wings
- Pigs Announce Two On-Field Movie Nights - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Red Wings Back Home May 21-27 - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-23) at Buffalo Bisons (14-22) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.