Providence Loses Third Period Lead, Fall to Springfield in OT 3-2
Springfield, MA - The Providence Bruins were defeated by the Springfield ThunderBirds Saturday night 3-2 in overtime. Wayne Simpson and Peter Mueller scored goals for Providence while Malcolm Subban started in net.
Springfield got on the board just 1:50 into the game, as Subban faced a barrage of shots with one finally hitting the back of the net off the stick of Sena Acolatse. Ian McCoshen and Ryan Horvat picked up assists on Acolatse's fourth goal of the season which gave the ThunderBirds a 1-0 lead. The P-Bruins offense was stagnant most of the period, as they were outshot 10-3 and had very few scoring chances.
The second period was a different story, as Providence dominated the scoring chances which led to a lead on the scoreboard. Quick passing from Mueller and Danton Heinen on the power play set up Simpson in front of the net. He backhanded one past Mike McKenna for his seventh goal of the season and tied the game 1-1 at 2:32. Nearly ten minutes later, the P-Bruins took the lead at the 12:13 mark. Matt Grzelcyk fired a shot on McKenna who made the initial save, but Mueller took the rebound and scored his seventh goal of the season to give Providence a 2-1 lead.
The lead would not last long into the third as the ThunderBirds tied things up 2-2 while on the power play. Jared McCann sent a pass to Paul Thompson, who sniped it by Subban's glove for his sixth goal of the year. Providence had several opportunities to retake the lead but could not sneak one by McKenna as the game headed to overtime.
Just 2:12 into overtime, Acolatse sent a beautiful pass to Shane Harper who one-timed it in for the Springfield game winner. Mike Sgarbossa picked up the secondary assist on Harper's third of the year as the ThunderBirds won 3-2.
Subban played well, stopping 32 of 35 shots while McKenna stopped 24 of the 26 shots he faced. These two teams will play again tomorrow at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, RI at 3:05 pm.
The Providence Bruins are the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Boston Bruins, playing their home games at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI. Spanning more than 20 years, the Boston/Providence affiliation is one of the longest and most successful player development partnerships in professional hockey history.
For all the latest Providence Bruins news and updates visit ProvidenceBruins.com or follow the team on Facebook at facebook.com/providencebruins or Twitter at twitter.com/AHLBruins.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2016
- Ontario Reign Battle; Edge Checkers on Teddy Bear Toss - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Extend Point Streak to Five, Defeat Rockford 4-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- GAME RECAP: Former Checkers Haunt Team in Loss to Ontario - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolves Escape Wild, 4-2, at Allstate - Chicago Wolves
- Wilcox Earns First Professional Shutout in 4-0 Win over Amerks - Syracuse Crunch
- Weal Snaps Home Overtime Winner at Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Best Wild 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Providence Loses Third Period Lead, Fall to Springfield in OT 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Comets Sweep Weekend Series with the Devils - Utica Comets
- Binghamton's Struggles Continue in 4-0 Loss to Bridgeport - Binghamton Senators
- Game Recap: Sound Tigers 4, Senators 0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Dropped by Comets for Second Straight Game - Albany Devils
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 3, Toronto Marlies 2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- MONSTERS GAME SUMMARY: Monsters Sunk by Admirals, 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Texas 6 at Manitoba 1 - Manitoba Moose
- Rampage Players to Team up with Any Baby Can Members Monday - San Antonio Rampage
- Hildebrand Recalled from Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- RECAP: Power Play Propells Penguins Past IceCaps, 6-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Mathieu Brodeur to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- RECAP | Penguins Punish IceCaps 6-2 - St. John's IceCaps
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Holiday Pack - Syracuse Crunch
- Reign Celebrate Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Ottawa Senators Reassign Macoy Erkamps, Gabriel Gagne to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Red Wings Recall Brian Lashoff and Tomas Nosek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Downed by Wolves, 4-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Ontario Reign Offense Bounces Back with 4-1 Victory over Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Condors Shutout Charlotte, 3-0; Host Tucson on Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- Checkers Blanked in Bakersfield - Charlotte Checkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Set Franchise Record with 12th Consecutive Win
- P-Bruins Tie Franchise Record, Beat Hershey Bears, 3-2, in Shootout
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2
- P-Bruins Extend Win Streak to Nine Games, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 2-1, in Overtime
- P-Bruins Win Eighth Straight Game, Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2