Rockford Downed by Wolves, 4-1
Rockford, Ill. - The Rockford IceHogs (7-11-1-2) fell to their instate rival, the Chicago Wolves (10-9-1-1), 4-1, Friday night at the BMO Harris Bank Center. With the win, Chicago now leads this season's Illinois Lottery Cup series, 3-1.
Samuel Blais gave Chicago an early 1-0 edge with a blast from the left circle that initially clanked iron before beating IceHogs goalie Mac Carruth glove side at 5:52 in the first frame.
The IceHogs appeared to have evened the score late in the first period, but the goal was disallowed. Pierre-Cedric Labrie drove into the Wolves zone and looked to have successfully lofted the puck over Wolves goaltender Jordan Binnington, but the tally was overruled on a high-sticking call.
The Wolves capitalized on an aggressive forecheck to increase their lead to 2-0 at 18:02 in the opening period. Pinned to the boards, Ivan Barbashev backhanded a pass from the right of the net to Andrew Agozzino who buried the puck.
Chicago's opened the lead to 3-0 on a breakaway opportunity at 8:06 in the second. Kenny Agostino sped past the defense and slid the puck through Carruth's pads.
The IceHogs then finally scratched the score sheet five seconds into their first and only power play of the evening. Wasting no time with the man advantage, Tanner Kero won the faceoff and pushed the puck to Ville Pokka on the left point. Pokka fired a centering pass on net, where Mark McNeill hammered the puck home past Binnington at 18:12 to make the score 3-1. With the assist, Kero has scored a point in six of the last eight contests.
Landon Ferraro polished off the score for the Wolves with a tip-in goal on a two-on-one chance to secure a 4-1 win for Chicago.
Next Game: Saturday, Dec. 3 vs. Grand Rapids Griffins at 7 p.m. The Rockford IceHogs face the Grand Rapids Griffins (11-6-0-2) in the third of 10 season meetings. The popular Teddy Bear Toss promotion returns to the BMO Harris Bank Center where fans are encouraged to bring new or gently used teddy bears and/or stuffed animals to the game, and throw them onto the ice when the IceHogs score their first goal of the game. The teddy bears and stuffed animals will then be donated to local hospitals and kids charities.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2016
- Ontario Reign Battle; Edge Checkers on Teddy Bear Toss - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Extend Point Streak to Five, Defeat Rockford 4-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- GAME RECAP: Former Checkers Haunt Team in Loss to Ontario - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolves Escape Wild, 4-2, at Allstate - Chicago Wolves
- Wilcox Earns First Professional Shutout in 4-0 Win over Amerks - Syracuse Crunch
- Weal Snaps Home Overtime Winner at Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Best Wild 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Providence Loses Third Period Lead, Fall to Springfield in OT 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Comets Sweep Weekend Series with the Devils - Utica Comets
- Binghamton's Struggles Continue in 4-0 Loss to Bridgeport - Binghamton Senators
- Game Recap: Sound Tigers 4, Senators 0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Dropped by Comets for Second Straight Game - Albany Devils
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 3, Toronto Marlies 2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- MONSTERS GAME SUMMARY: Monsters Sunk by Admirals, 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Texas 6 at Manitoba 1 - Manitoba Moose
- Rampage Players to Team up with Any Baby Can Members Monday - San Antonio Rampage
- Hildebrand Recalled from Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- RECAP: Power Play Propells Penguins Past IceCaps, 6-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Mathieu Brodeur to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- RECAP | Penguins Punish IceCaps 6-2 - St. John's IceCaps
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Holiday Pack - Syracuse Crunch
- Reign Celebrate Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Ottawa Senators Reassign Macoy Erkamps, Gabriel Gagne to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Red Wings Recall Brian Lashoff and Tomas Nosek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Downed by Wolves, 4-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Ontario Reign Offense Bounces Back with 4-1 Victory over Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Condors Shutout Charlotte, 3-0; Host Tucson on Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- Checkers Blanked in Bakersfield - Charlotte Checkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Stateline Teachers, Today Is the Last Day to Enter to Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank
- Former IceHogs Johns and Rutta Collide in 2020 Stanley Cup Final
- Stateline Teachers: Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank =F0=9F=8D=8E
- Rockford IceHogs & BMO Harris Bank Launch #BacktoSchoolwithBMO to Support Stateline Teachers
- IceHogs Add Scoring Touch in Forward Christopher Wilkie