Ontario Reign Offense Bounces Back with 4-1 Victory over Tucson
Ontario, CA - The Ontario Reign (7-5-4-0) offense showcased their skills and power on Friday night, as they breezed past the Tucson Roadrunners (9-4-2-0), 4-1, at Citizens Business Bank Arena. Netminder Jack Campbell recorded his fourth win of the season and forward Joel Lowry registered two assists.
"I thought it was a great game, said Head Coach Mike Stothers after the game. "I thought it was probably the best game we've played from start to finish."
Going into the game the Reign were in desperate need of an offensive showing, and they did just that, pulling through with an impressive effort against their Pacific-Division foe.
"I thought that we showed a lot of grit. We stayed with it. We battled through," added Stothers. "We didn't get frustrated by the ridiculousness of the way the game was called. We just persevered."
Forward Brett Sutter kicked off the scoring at 3:56 of the first period, sneaking the puck past netminder Marek Langhamer off a rebounded shot from forward Sam Herr. Ontario continued to play with purpose, outshooting Tucson, 9-3 at the seven-minute mark before the Roadrunners evened the scoring. Forward Eric Selleck took in a pass from forward Mark Olver and fired a shot from the right circle that beat Campbell at 7:17.
The Reign wouldn't score again until the second stanza when forward Michael Latta ripped in his first goal of the season at 13:13 on a give-and-go play from forward Andrew Crescenzi. Tucson peppered 11 shots throughout the period that were denied by a strong showing from Campbell.
Ontario added two goals in the final period to seal the victory. Forward T.J. Hensick jammed the puck past Langhamer at 2:12 for a 3-1 lead assisted by forward Michael Mersch and defenseman Vincent LoVerde. With the goal, Hensick leads the team with seven goals on the season. Ontario continued the offensive outburst, and found the back of the net once again at 18:34 on a marker from forward Justin Auger. With the win, the Reign hand Langhamer (31 saves) his first loss of the season.
The game ended rather physically, with 44 minutes of penalties awarded during the final 28 seconds of regulation.
When asked about the physical finish, Coach Stothers defended his players.
"It's good to see the guys stick up for each other. We're a close team ... We're all tough. We're all together and that's most important. You want to be team tough."
The Reign return to action tomorrow, Saturday, December 3 against the Charlotte Checkers at 6:00 p.m. at Citizens Business Bank Arena. Bring new or gently used stuffed animals to Saturday's contest for Teddy Bear Toss presented by Smart Solar Power!
Become a "Fan" of the Reign on Facebook at Facebook.com/OntarioReign, join the conversation on Twitter at Twitter.com/OntarioReign and follow us on Instagram at Instagram.com/OntarioReignHockey.
Images from this story
Ontario Reign Offense Bounces Back with 4-1 Victory over Tucson Roadrunners
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2016
- Ontario Reign Battle; Edge Checkers on Teddy Bear Toss - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Extend Point Streak to Five, Defeat Rockford 4-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- GAME RECAP: Former Checkers Haunt Team in Loss to Ontario - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolves Escape Wild, 4-2, at Allstate - Chicago Wolves
- Wilcox Earns First Professional Shutout in 4-0 Win over Amerks - Syracuse Crunch
- Weal Snaps Home Overtime Winner at Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Best Wild 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Providence Loses Third Period Lead, Fall to Springfield in OT 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Comets Sweep Weekend Series with the Devils - Utica Comets
- Binghamton's Struggles Continue in 4-0 Loss to Bridgeport - Binghamton Senators
- Game Recap: Sound Tigers 4, Senators 0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Dropped by Comets for Second Straight Game - Albany Devils
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 3, Toronto Marlies 2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- MONSTERS GAME SUMMARY: Monsters Sunk by Admirals, 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Texas 6 at Manitoba 1 - Manitoba Moose
- Rampage Players to Team up with Any Baby Can Members Monday - San Antonio Rampage
- Hildebrand Recalled from Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- RECAP: Power Play Propells Penguins Past IceCaps, 6-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Mathieu Brodeur to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- RECAP | Penguins Punish IceCaps 6-2 - St. John's IceCaps
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Holiday Pack - Syracuse Crunch
- Reign Celebrate Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Ottawa Senators Reassign Macoy Erkamps, Gabriel Gagne to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Red Wings Recall Brian Lashoff and Tomas Nosek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rockford Downed by Wolves, 4-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Ontario Reign Offense Bounces Back with 4-1 Victory over Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Condors Shutout Charlotte, 3-0; Host Tucson on Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- Checkers Blanked in Bakersfield - Charlotte Checkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.