Preview: Broncos Look for Answers in Vancouver
LANGLEY, BC - The Swift Current Broncos (2-6-1-1) lost their sixth game in a row Friday night, 4-0 at the hands of the Victoria Royals. Their road trip doesn't get any easier as they head back to the Mainland to play the Vancouver Giants (6-6-0-0) Saturday night.
Friday, the Broncos found themselves trailing 1-0 after a solid opening 20 minutes in which they outshot the Royals 11-8.
The second period was a different story as the Royals dominated just about start to finish, outshooting Swift Current 22-4 and scoring three more times to cruise to the 4-0 final.
Isaac Poulter turned aside 36 shots in the loss while Brock Gould made 23 saves for his first career shutout.
The Giants had a forgettable night of their own on Friday as they were hammered 6-0 on the road by the Kamloops Blazers.
Vancouver couldn't stay out of the penalty box and the Blazers made them pay, going 4-for-8 on the man advantage en route to the win. Kamloops' captain Zane Franklin led the way with a hat trick and an assist.
Widely considered favourites to return to the WHL finals, the Giants haven't found their groove just yet this season. Their goal differential sits at zero, with 32 goals for and against on the season.
David Tendeck was on the hook for all six goals against on Friday, so the Broncos can expect to see Trent Miner in net on Saturday. The seventh-round pick of the Colorado Avalanche has struggled out of the gate to a 1-4 record, 3.46 GAA and .878 save percentage, compared to 1.98 and .924 last season.
The Broncos will stay in Langley overnight before making the trip to Prince George on Sunday, finishing their five-game swing against the Cougars on Tuesday.
October 19, 2019 - Broncos @ Giants
Player Goals Assists Games Played
Ben King 3 2 10
Joona Kiviniemi 3 2 10
Ethan Regnier 2 3 10
Player Goals Assists Games Played
Justin Sourdif 6 6 12
Tristan Nielson 6 5 12
Bowen Byram 1 9 10
Team Power Play Penalty Kill
Swift Current 12.5 (22nd) 79.0 (13th)
Vancouver 17.0 (18th) 80.6 (10th)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- ICE Acquire Veteran Forward Jackson Leppard from Prince George - Winnipeg Ice
- Cougars Acquire Two Players, Draft Selections from the Winnipeg ICE - Prince George Cougars
- Game Day Hub: October 19 - Portland Winterhawks
- ICE Begin Three-Straight Games against the Blades on Saturday Night - Winnipeg Ice
- Game Preview: Blades Start 3 Game Mini-Series against Ice in Winnipeg - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Preview: Pats Look to End Streak in Red Deer Saturday - Regina Pats
- Preview: Broncos Look for Answers in Vancouver - Swift Current Broncos
- Broncos Drop Sixth Straight, 4-0 in Victoria - Swift Current Broncos
- Wheat Kings Defeat T-Bird in Overtime - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Gauthier Rock-Solid in 2-1 Win - Prince George Cougars
- Wolf Stops, Kindopp Pots Pair in 3-1 Victory - Everett Silvertips
- Ams Fall 5-1 to Silvertips - Tri-City Americans
- Vancouver Giants Fall in Kamloops to Kick off the Weekend - Vancouver Giants
- Poor First Period Leads to Third Straight Loss for Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Shut out Broncos - Victoria Royals
- Quick-Shooting Hitmen Top Warriors, 7-3 - Calgary Hitmen
- Road Trip Opens with Loss in Calgary - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Chiefs Fall 2-1 in Prince George - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.