Chiefs Fall 2-1 in Prince George
Prince George, BC - The Spokane Chiefs came up short in their road effort Friday night, falling to the Prince George Cougars 2-1.
The Cougars controlled the shots on goal in the opening period, outshooting the Chiefs 14-8 while jumping out to a 2-0 lead.
Spokane managed to flip the ice in the second frame, putting 17 shots on goal to just four by Prince George. The Chiefs cut the Cougars lead to one at 9:26 when Erik Atchison came around the backside of the net to clean up a rebound and slam it home to make it 2-1.
Despite leading shots 13-6 in the final period and 38-24 on the game, the Chiefs failed to connect for a second goal as time wound down.
Rookie goaltender Campbell Arnold finished the night 22-for-24 for Spokane and Prince George's Taylor Gauthier was 37-for-38. Both sides were held scoreless on their power play chances with the Chiefs going 0-for-3 and the the Cougars going 0-for-1.
These two teams will be back at it tomorrow night as the Chiefs look to pick up a win on the road before returning home on Wednesday.
The Chiefs return home for the first TicketsWest Player Magnet Giveaway at Spokane Arena on Wednesday, October 23 versus the Brandon Wheat Kings. The first 1,000 fans through the gates will receive a refrigerator magnet featuring a Chiefs player courtesy of TicketsWest.
Tickets for October 23 and all Chiefs home games are available online, over the phone at 509-535-PUCK or in-person at the Chiefs' Ticket Office at Spokane Arena.
Images from this story
Spokane Chiefs goaltender Campbell Arnold and defense vs. the Prince George Cougars
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2019
- ICE Acquire Veteran Forward Jackson Leppard from Prince George - Winnipeg Ice
- Cougars Acquire Two Players, Draft Selections from the Winnipeg ICE - Prince George Cougars
- Game Day Hub: October 19 - Portland Winterhawks
- ICE Begin Three-Straight Games against the Blades on Saturday Night - Winnipeg Ice
- Game Preview: Blades Start 3 Game Mini-Series against Ice in Winnipeg - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Preview: Pats Look to End Streak in Red Deer Saturday - Regina Pats
- Preview: Broncos Look for Answers in Vancouver - Swift Current Broncos
- Broncos Drop Sixth Straight, 4-0 in Victoria - Swift Current Broncos
- Wheat Kings Defeat T-Bird in Overtime - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Gauthier Rock-Solid in 2-1 Win - Prince George Cougars
- Wolf Stops, Kindopp Pots Pair in 3-1 Victory - Everett Silvertips
- Ams Fall 5-1 to Silvertips - Tri-City Americans
- Vancouver Giants Fall in Kamloops to Kick off the Weekend - Vancouver Giants
- Poor First Period Leads to Third Straight Loss for Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Shut out Broncos - Victoria Royals
- Quick-Shooting Hitmen Top Warriors, 7-3 - Calgary Hitmen
- Road Trip Opens with Loss in Calgary - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Chiefs Fall 2-1 in Prince George - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Parik and Jiricek Invited to Compete for Czech Karjala Cup Roster
- Toporowski and Chudley Among Chiefs Players Granted Temporary Loans
- Beckman Invited to Team Canada Selection Camp
- Graham Sward Listed in NHL Central Scouting's 'Players to Watch'
- Chiefs Sign Prospects Copeland Fricker and Ty Cheveldayoff