Preseason Game #2 - Tucson at Ontario
Preseason Game #2 - Tucson at Ontario
2 PM MST, Toyota Sports Performance Center
Referees: Justin Kea (#20), Jordan Deckard (#14)
Linesmen: Jacob Fraser (#4), Steve Walsh (#85)
Roadrunners Current Roster: CLICK HERE
The Roadrunners and the Reign will meet again today in the second half of a preseason back-to-back. Defensively, the Roadrunners held Ontario to eight shots or less in two of the three periods Sunday. For Tucson, the game is the second of three games over four days as they'll host San Jose Wednesday at 5 p.m.
1) Tucson finished Sunday's game with three-straight goals and didn't allow a goal in the final 34:26 as they look to pick up where they left off today. Worth noting off of their strong start that Ontario played San Jose in their preseason debut Friday night as the Roadrunners came in Sunday for their preseason opener and took a period or so to get rolling.
2) Tucson has added two Nashville prospects to the roster in forwards Mike Carcone and Josh Wilkins. Carcone had 13 goals and 14 assists for 27 points in 59 games last year in the AHL in Belleville. Wilkins, as a rookie, had three goals and 12 assists for 15 points in 56 games for Milwaukee.
3) The Roadrunners Sunday lineup was missing several notable names on the roster as is common in preseason action as: Ivan Prosvetov and Coyotes Rookie prospect Jan Jenik did not play. Mike Carcone also did not play in the game.
What's The Word?
Arizona Daily Star Roadrunners Writer Brett Fera talked with Team President Bob Hoffman on the team's efforts to bring fans into the arena for Opening Night on February 18 and the goal of continuing to build on the number of fans in the arena each night.
"The perfect goal would be to see this grow as the virus becomes less transmittable and the vaccine has a little bit more of an effect. And hopefully, we're in a position where that number can grow throughout the season to where a nice long playoff run, we can do it in front of the home fans and welcome a really good crowd for that."
Number to Know
40 The Tucson power-play clipped at a 40-percent success rate Sunday in the preseason opener as they went 2-5 on the one-man advantage. They drew five of the eight power-plays in the game and went a perfect 3-3 on the penalty-kill.
We're Doing It Live
Not yet. We will return to the radio for Wednesday's Preseason Home Opener for a 5 p.m. Face-Off on Fox Sports 1450 AM and iHeartRadio that will follow Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzales on Tucson's Sports Station.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2021
- Roadrunners Double Reign in Preseason Matchup - Tucson Roadrunners
- Phantoms Announce Training Camp Roster - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Phantoms Preseason Game Rescheduled - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Announce Training Camp Roster - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins Fan Cutouts Now Available - Grand Rapids Griffins
- San Diego Gulls Announce Revised 2020-21 Preseason Schedule - San Diego Gulls
- Eagles Announce Training Camp Roster - Colorado Eagles
- IceHogs Announce 2020-21 Training Camp Roster - Rockford IceHogs
- Utica Comets Announce 2020-21 Training Camp Roster - Utica Comets
- Iowa Wild Releases 2020-21 Training Camp Schedule - Iowa Wild
- Monsters Announce 2020-21 Training Camp Roster - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Announce Training Camp Schedule and Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Binghamton Devils Announce Training Camp Roster - Binghamton Devils
- Preseason Game #2 - Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Roadrunners Stories
- Tucson Roadrunners' Road Ahead: Week of April 12, 2021
- Michael Carcone Named AHL Player of Week
- Roadrunners Even Up Season Series With San Diego Gulls With Dominant 4-1 Victory Saturday Night
- Game #23 San Diego at Tucson
- Mike Carcone Nets Four Goals In High-Scoring Battle With Gulls