Ponies Return Home Spoiled by Squirrels
Binghamton, NY - The Rumble Ponies (2-1, 36-30) fell to the Richmond Flying Squirrels 4-1 in the series-opener at NYSEG Stadium Friday evening. It snaps the Ponies three-game winning streak but extends their skid at home to four games.
Richmond (2-1, 25-45) got on the board early with a two-out RBI single from Will Maddox. Then with the next batter Jalen Miller at the plate and runners at the corners, Harol Gonzalez threw an errant pickoff throw to first allowing Gio Brusa to score from third. Brusa would also hit a long solo homer in the eighth to put the Squirrels up 4-1.
The lone Ponies run came in the bottom of the fourth with an RBI single from Barrett Barnes. Barnes has had an RBI in three of his last four games. The hit scored Ali Sanchez, who extended his hitting streak to eleven games with a one-out double.
Gonzalez (3-3) allowed six hits over five innings allowing three runs (two earned) with three walks and five strikeouts taking his second consecutive loss. Gonzalez is still looking for his first win since throwing a combined no-hitter on May 8th in Harrisburg. Brandon Beachy (2-3) got the win allowing only two hits and one run over six innings.
The Rumble Ponies continue their series with the Flying Squirrels Saturday night with first pitch at 6:35PM on Newsradio 1290 WNBF and the Binghamton Rumble Ponies channel on TuneIn. The Horizons Federal Credit Union Pregame show begins at 6:20PM.
POSTGAME NOTES: The Ponies are now 10-18 at home this season...It is Richmond's first win against Binghamton this year (1-3)...Sanchez 11-game hitting streak is the second-longest on the team this year (Patrick Mazeika had a 15-game hit streak from 4/27 to 5/16).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 21, 2019
- Bohm makes Fightins debut in thrilling 11-8 win in extras - Reading Fightin Phils
- Hartford Comes Back to Beat Curve on Friday - Altoona Curve
- Nichting, Valentin Lead Baysox to Series Opening Win in Harrisburg - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Overcome 4-1 Deficit to Force Extras on Friday Night - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Whitlock Deals Six Solid in Extra-Inning Win over New Hampshire - Trenton Thunder
- Ponies Return Home Spoiled by Squirrels - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Whoopie Pies Fall in 10 Innings to Reading, 11-8 - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves Top RubberDucks, 11-3 - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Go Duck Hunting on Friday - Erie SeaWolves
- Goats Prove 'In-Vance-Ible' in Comeback Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sens Come Up Short in 6-2 Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- Mega Blast Fireworks Return to UPMC Park July 3 - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves at Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #66 Rumble Ponies (2-0) vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels (1-1) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Akron RubberDucks Homestand Highlights (June 21-23) - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 21st vs. Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Yard Goats Set to Welcome One Millionth Fan on Saturday - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.