Ponies' Comeback Comes up Short in Finale against Squirrels
Binghamton, NY - The Rumble Ponies (2-3, 36-32) fell in the finale of their three-game series as they were swept by the Richmond Flying Squirrels 4-3 at NYSEG Stadium Sunday afternoon. The Ponies tied the game at two in the seventh, but the Squirrels answered with a pair of runs in the eighth as the Ponies have now dropped six straight games at home.
Richmond (4-1, 27-45) got on the board in the first with an RBI triple by Jonah Arenado in the fourth. Jalen Miller made it a two-run game with a solo homer in the sixth.
The Ponies plated their first run in the bottom of the inning. David Thompson launched a triple to the wall in right and came around to score on a Barrett Barnes RBI groundout. The Rumble Ponies evened the score at two an inning later on a Luis Carpio RBI single.
The Flying Squirrels took the lead back in the eighth with an RBI single from Gio Brusa and an Arenado sacrifice fly.
Binghamton starter David Peterson allowed two runs on two hits with eight strikeouts over six innings of work. Joseph Shaw suffered the loss and allowed two runs in two innings of relief.
Ponies catcher Ali Sanchez extended his season-high hitting streak to 13 games with a double in the eighth.
The Rumble Ponies begin a five-game set with the Erie Seawolves Monday evening. The two teams will play the remaining 8-and-a-half innings of a suspended game from April 14 as part of a doubleheader beginning at 5:35PM on Newsradio 1290 WNBF and the Binghamton Rumble Ponies channel on TuneIn. The Horizons Federal Credit Union Pregame show begins at 5:20PM.
POSTGAME NOTES: The Ponies are now 10-20 at home this season... Richmond completed a series sweep for the first time this year ...Sanchez 13-game hitting streak is the second-longest on the team this year (Patrick Mazeika had a 15-game hit streak from 4/27 to 5/16)...Thompson and Jason Krizan both notched two hits.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Flying Squirrels Return Home for Seven-Game Homestand this Week - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Ponies' Comeback Comes up Short in Finale against Squirrels - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Rally Late but Fall in 10 - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Sweep Akron with 6-5 Win in 10 Innings - Erie SeaWolves
- Warmoth Drives in Another Run in 5-2 Fisher Cats Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Alvarez's Big Day Leads Series Win over New Hampshire - Trenton Thunder
- Brady, Bats Lead Win over Hartford - Altoona Curve
- Barrera Leads Sens to 9-6 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Luke Has the Power, 'Dogs Win 4-3 on Tendler's Homer - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox Drop Series Finale in Harrisburg - Bowie Baysox
- Brady a Bunchful for Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Erie SeaWolves at Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #68 Rumble Ponies (2-2) vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels (3-1)- 2:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 23rd vs. Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.