Philadelphia Union Announce Danny Higginbotham as Primary Broadcast Color Analyst
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union today announced that Danny Higginbotham, former Premier League player and international broadcaster, will join the Philadelphia Union broadcast team as primary color analyst for the 2021 and 2022 Major League Soccer seasons.
Higginbotham brings an impressive resume of international experience with Sky Sports, NBC, CBS, and ESPN broadcasting during Premier and Champions League games as well as an extensive playing career to Union game broadcasts. As a former player, Danny has a decorated career featuring for Manchester United, Derby County, Southampton, Stoke City, and Sunderland to name a few. This announcement follows the club's most successful season to date in which they secured their first trophy, the 2020 Supporters' Shield, and a berth to the 2021 Concacaf Champions League.
"Danny has a way of calling the game that will introduce an innovative, tactical style of analysis that our fans crave. Paired with his broadcasting and playing experience at the highest levels of international soccer, Danny's addition is another example of the Union being a forward-thinking club," said Doug Vosik, Philadelphia Union Chief Marketing Officer. "Most importantly, Danny has a love for Philadelphia, having married a Philly-native, and the Union, likening us to clubs from his career , that will quickly endear him to the Union fanbase."
"The attraction for me, to Philadelphia Union was because it reminds me so much of Stoke City Football Club during their Premier League years where, as a club, we were always traditionally the underdogs but thrived off of that label, mixed with the development innovation of Southampton," said Higginbotham. "The Union mirrors the city in the work ethic and endeavor of the Philadelphia locals. The dynamics of the club and what everybody is doing is great to see as well with the willingness to produce their own players and giving them the chance to shine whilst also being competitive on the pitch as shown with winning the Supporters' Shield."
Higginbotham will join Hall of Fame broadcaster JP Dellacamera as the mainstay color analyst, replacing Tommy Smyth, in the booth on Union gamedays. "In 11 seasons of calling Union soccer games I have worked with some great analysts as well as great people. I have no doubt that in 2021, Danny Higginbotham will fall into both of those categories," said Dellacamera. "I know he is anxious to get his Union broadcasting career started."
Danny Higginbotham had a hugely successful soccer career spanning 25 years beginning at Manchester United in 1997 and going on to play at all levels of English soccer with the likes of Derby, Southampton, Stoke, and Sunderland. He made international debuts for Royal Antwerp as well as Gibraltar in a friendly against Slovakia. Following his playing time, Higginbotham moved on to his second passion, providing commentary on the beautiful game. Danny's broadcast career sees him regularly appear on Sky Sports, The Premier League Channel, NBC, CBS, ESPN, and Sirius XM Radio. Danny recently settled down in the Greater Philadelphia area with his wife, a Delaware Valley-native, and children.
A schedule and details for the 2021 Major League Soccer season have yet to be announced. For more information, please visit PhiladelphiaUnion.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 17, 2020
- Sounders FC Announces Gunbir Gill as Club's Official eMLS Gamer for 2021 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Selects Midfielder Raheem Edwards in Stage 1 of 2020 Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Winner of Supporter-Designed New Nordecke Patch Contest - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United, LAFC and Sporting Kansas City Acquire Players in Stage 1 of Re-Entry Process - MLS
- Timbers Acquire Defender Claudio Bravo - Portland Timbers
- Sporting KC Acquires Goalkeeper Kendall McIntosh - Sporting Kansas City
- Atlanta Selects Andrew Gutman with No. 1 Pick in Re-Entry Draft - Atlanta United FC
- Austin FC Acquires Finnish International and NYCFC Captain Alex Ring Ahead of Inaugural MLS Season - Austin FC
- New York City FCÂ AcquiresÂ Up to $1.25M in General Allocation MoneyÂ from Austin FC ForÂ Alex Ring - New York City FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire $75,000 in General Allocation Money from Atlanta United FC - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta acquires No. 1 pick in Thursday's Re-Entry Draft - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Forward Jonathan Lewis to New Contract - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Trades Fafa Picault to Houston Dynamo FC - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Fafa Picault from FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo
- 2020 Year in Review: Top On-Field Moments - Colorado Rapids
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Stunner Voted Greatest Goal Presented by AT&T - MLS
- Impact Acquires Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic from Chicago Fire - Club de Foot Montreal
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires up to $1,000,000 in General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact in Exchange for Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Announce Danny Higginbotham as Primary Broadcast Color Analyst - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Sign Center Back Stuart Findlay
- Army-Navy Cup IX and X Returns to Subaru Park in 2021
- Round of 16 Schedule Announced for 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round
- Philadelphia Union Unveil New 2021 Secondary Kit
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract