Chicago Fire FC Acquires up to $1,000,000 in General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact in Exchange for Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC announced today that the Club has acquired up to $1,000,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) from the Montreal Impact in exchange for midfielder Djordje MihailoviÄ. Chicago will receive $400,000 in 2021 GAM and $400,000 in 2022 GAM. The Fire will also receive up to $200,000 in future GAM if MihailoviÄ meets certain performance-based metrics with the Impact. Additionally, in the event that Montreal permanently transfers MihailoviÄ to a professional football club outside of MLS, the Fire will retain a percentage of the transfer fee.
"Djordje has represented the Fire for nearly a decade and was the first Academy player to break into the first team and consistently make an impact," said Chicago Fire FC Sporting Director Georg Heitz. "While this was certainly a difficult decision, Djordje was entering the final year of his contract and was ready for a new challenge. Throughout this entire process, we have worked with him and his team to find a solution that would be beneficial for the player and the Club. We are appreciative of all that he has given to the Fire over the last seven years and wish him nothing but the best moving forward."
A native of Lemont, Ill., MihailoviÄ originally became the Club's ninth Homegrown Player signing on Jan. 27, 2017. In four seasons with the Fire, the midfielder tallied seven goals and 15 assists in 73 appearances (45 starts) in MLS play. MihailoviÄ earned his first call-up to the U.S. Men's National Team and tallied a goal in his first-ever appearance for the USMNT on Jan. 27, 2019.
"I would like to take this opportunity to thank the fans and the Chicago Fire Football Club for the support you have given me," said MihailoviÄ. "It has truly been a privilege to play for you. I wish everyone in Chicago continued success."
Prior to signing a professional contract with the Fire, MihailoviÄ represented the Fire at the Academy and PDL levels. As a 16-year-old, MihailoviÄ was instrumental in the Fire's 2015 Under-18 U.S. Soccer Development Academy National Championship run. He scored a brace in the Fire's 4-2 extra time win over the Montreal Impact in the semifinal round, then earned the start in the final as the Fire defeated Real Salt Lake Arizona by a score of 3-1, capturing the second USSDA national championship in Club history.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC acquires up to $1,000,000 in General Allocation Money from the Montreal Impact in exchange for midfielder Djordje MihailoviÄ. Chicago will receive $400,000 in 2021 GAM and $400,000 in 2022 GAM from the Montreal Impact. Chicago will also receive up to $200,000 in future General Allocation Money if MihailoviÄ meets certain performance-based metrics with the Impact. Additionally, in the event that Montreal permanently transfers MihailoviÄ to a professional football club outside of MLS, the Fire will retain a percentage of the transfer fee.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 17, 2020
- Sounders FC Announces Gunbir Gill as Club's Official eMLS Gamer for 2021 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Selects Midfielder Raheem Edwards in Stage 1 of 2020 Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Winner of Supporter-Designed New Nordecke Patch Contest - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United, LAFC and Sporting Kansas City Acquire Players in Stage 1 of Re-Entry Process - MLS
- Timbers Acquire Defender Claudio Bravo - Portland Timbers
- Sporting KC Acquires Goalkeeper Kendall McIntosh - Sporting Kansas City
- Atlanta Selects Andrew Gutman with No. 1 Pick in Re-Entry Draft - Atlanta United FC
- Austin FC Acquires Finnish International and NYCFC Captain Alex Ring Ahead of Inaugural MLS Season - Austin FC
- New York City FCÂ AcquiresÂ Up to $1.25M in General Allocation MoneyÂ from Austin FC ForÂ Alex Ring - New York City FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire $75,000 in General Allocation Money from Atlanta United FC - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta acquires No. 1 pick in Thursday's Re-Entry Draft - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Forward Jonathan Lewis to New Contract - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Trades Fafa Picault to Houston Dynamo FC - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Fafa Picault from FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo FC
- 2020 Year in Review: Top On-Field Moments - Colorado Rapids
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Stunner Voted Greatest Goal Presented by AT&T - MLS
- Impact Acquires Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic from Chicago Fire - Club de Foot Montreal
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires up to $1,000,000 in General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact in Exchange for Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic - Chicago Fire FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce Danny Higginbotham as Primary Broadcast Color Analyst - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire FC Stories
- Fire to Begin 24th MLS Season against New England Revolution at Soldier Field on Saturday
- Chicago Fire FC to Stream Locally Broadcast Regular Season Games on Team Website & Mobile App Free of Charge
- Chicago Fire FC Announces New Partnership with AstroTurf
- Chicago Fire FC Announce Tickets for Home Opener at Soldier Field on Sale
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced