Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Fafa Picault from FC Dallas
HOUSTON - Houston Dynamo FC acquired midfielder Fabrice "Fafa" Picault in a trade with FC Dallas, the Club announced today. Dynamo FC will trade $200,000 in 2021 General Allocation Money, $75,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money and future performance-based considerations to FC Dallas for Picault.
The 29-year-old joins Houston after one season with FC Dallas. The midfielder appeared in 18 games where he scored three goals and recorded two assists. Picault started in both of FC Dallas' Audi MLS Cup Playoffs games as the North Texas club reached the Western Conference semifinals.
"Fafa is a dynamic and versatile winger who joins our club in the prime of his career," said Senior Vice President and General Manager Matt Jordan. "As we entered the offseason we wanted to focus on bringing more speed to the team, and Fafa will add this element to our roster right away. We are very pleased to be adding a player of his quality and character to our group as we prepare for the 2021 season."
Picault joined the Philadelphia Union as a discovery signing in February 2017. The winger played three seasons for the club and scored 21 goals and tallied 12 assists in 89 appearances. Picault scored a goal in his Audi MLS Cup Playoffs debut, a 4-3 victory in extra time over the New York Red Bulls on Oct. 20, 2019. The midfielder also tallied an assist in Philadelphia's 3-0 victory over Chicago Fire FC in the semifinals of the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
"We are excited to add an important piece for the 2021 season. Fafa's quality and speed will help us create immediate dangerous opportunities at home or on the road," Dynamo Head Coach Tab Ramos said. "Additionally, his professionalism off the field is another building block in continuing to establish a winning culture."
Prior to joining the Union, Picault played in Europe from 2014-17. He made the move to Europe with Czech first-division team AC Sparta Prague, then joined St. Pauli in the 2. Bundesliga in Germany for three seasons. The midfielder scored four goals and tallied three assists in 22 appearances for the German based club.
The midfielder began his professional career in 2012 with the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the NASL. He appeared in 18 matches for Tampa Bay and helped the team win the NASL championship that season. Prior to joining Tampa Bay, he spent six years in Italy as a member of Cagliari's reserve team.
Internationally the 29-year-old has earned two appearances for the United States National Team. Picault made his international debut against Puerto Rico on May 22, 2016 and earned his second cap against Colombia on Oct. 11, 2018. The midfielder was born to Haitan parents and earned a call up to the Haitan National Team in 2014, but did not appear in a game.
TRANSACTION: Houston Dynamo FC acquires midfielder Fafa Picault from FC Dallas in exchange for $200,000 in 2021 General Allocation Money, $75,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money and future performance-based considerations.
FAFA PICAULT'S BIO
Full Name: Fabrice "Fafa" Picault
Pronunciation: FAH-fa Pea-CO
DOB: February 23, 1991 (29)
Hometown: Miami, Florida
Birthplace: New York City, New York
Nationality: United States
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 17, 2020
- Sounders FC Announces Gunbir Gill as Club's Official eMLS Gamer for 2021 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Selects Midfielder Raheem Edwards in Stage 1 of 2020 Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Winner of Supporter-Designed New Nordecke Patch Contest - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United, LAFC and Sporting Kansas City Acquire Players in Stage 1 of Re-Entry Process - MLS
- Timbers Acquire Defender Claudio Bravo - Portland Timbers
- Sporting KC Acquires Goalkeeper Kendall McIntosh - Sporting Kansas City
- Atlanta Selects Andrew Gutman with No. 1 Pick in Re-Entry Draft - Atlanta United FC
- Austin FC Acquires Finnish International and NYCFC Captain Alex Ring Ahead of Inaugural MLS Season - Austin FC
- New York City FCÂ AcquiresÂ Up to $1.25M in General Allocation MoneyÂ from Austin FC ForÂ Alex Ring - New York City FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire $75,000 in General Allocation Money from Atlanta United FC - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta acquires No. 1 pick in Thursday's Re-Entry Draft - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Forward Jonathan Lewis to New Contract - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Trades Fafa Picault to Houston Dynamo FC - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Fafa Picault from FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo
- 2020 Year in Review: Top On-Field Moments - Colorado Rapids
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Stunner Voted Greatest Goal Presented by AT&T - MLS
- Impact Acquires Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic from Chicago Fire - Club de Foot Montreal
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires up to $1,000,000 in General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact in Exchange for Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Announce Danny Higginbotham as Primary Broadcast Color Analyst - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.