Colorado Rapids Sign Forward Jonathan Lewis to New Contract
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids have signed forward Jonathan Lewis to a new contract through the 2024 season, the club announced today.
"We're very pleased to sign Johnny to a new contract with the club," said PÃ¡draig Smith, Colorado Rapids Executive VP & GM. "Johnny showed he is a dangerous attacker as our joint leading goal scorer this past season. He has an incredibly bright future ahead of him and we're thrilled that it will be in Burgundy."
Lewis has scored 10 goals in 34 regular-season appearances since joining Colorado via trade from New York City FC in May 2019. The 23-year-old scored five goals in 2020, tied for the team lead, and started the Rapids' first-round playoff match.
Lewis was selected third overall by NYCFC at the 2017 MLS SuperDraft out of the University of Akron, where he was Mid-America Conference Freshman of the Year in 2016. Lewis made 31 appearances for NYCFC between 2017 and 2019, scoring three goals and adding five assists. He also made one playoff appearance in 2017.
Lewis has earned six caps for the U.S. Men's National Team, most recently appearing in a 1-0 friendly win over Costa Rica on Feb. 1, 2020.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids sign forward Jonathan Lewis to a new contract through the 2024 season on December 17, 2020.
Birthdate: June 4, 1997
Birthplace: Atlanta, GA
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 17, 2020
- Sounders FC Announces Gunbir Gill as Club's Official eMLS Gamer for 2021 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Selects Midfielder Raheem Edwards in Stage 1 of 2020 Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Winner of Supporter-Designed New Nordecke Patch Contest - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United, LAFC and Sporting Kansas City Acquire Players in Stage 1 of Re-Entry Process - MLS
- Timbers Acquire Defender Claudio Bravo - Portland Timbers
- Sporting KC Acquires Goalkeeper Kendall McIntosh - Sporting Kansas City
- Atlanta Selects Andrew Gutman with No. 1 Pick in Re-Entry Draft - Atlanta United FC
- Austin FC Acquires Finnish International and NYCFC Captain Alex Ring Ahead of Inaugural MLS Season - Austin FC
- New York City FCÂ AcquiresÂ Up to $1.25M in General Allocation MoneyÂ from Austin FC ForÂ Alex Ring - New York City FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire $75,000 in General Allocation Money from Atlanta United FC - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta acquires No. 1 pick in Thursday's Re-Entry Draft - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Forward Jonathan Lewis to New Contract - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Trades Fafa Picault to Houston Dynamo FC - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Fafa Picault from FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo FC
- 2020 Year in Review: Top On-Field Moments - Colorado Rapids
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Stunner Voted Greatest Goal Presented by AT&T - MLS
- Impact Acquires Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic from Chicago Fire - Club de Foot Montreal
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires up to $1,000,000 in General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact in Exchange for Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic - Chicago Fire FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce Danny Higginbotham as Primary Broadcast Color Analyst - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Top Phoenix in Preseason Finale
- Colorado Rapids Close out Preseason with Scrimmage against Phoenix Rising FC
- Rapids Academy Launches Futures Program Geared Toward the Optimal Development of Young Players Across the Denver Area
- Rapids Forward Andre Shinyashiki Embraces Evolving Role in the Locker Room
- Multiple Key Players Return as Rapids Draw LA in Visit Tucson Sun Cup