Timbers Acquire Defender Claudio Bravo
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that the club has acquired Argentinian youth international defender Claudio Bravo from Liga Profesional de FÃºtbol side Club Atlético Banfield, signing him to a multi-year contract using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). Bravo will be added to the Timbers' roster, pending a physical and receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 visa.
"Signing a player with Claudio Bravo's skillset and ability is a tremendous positive for the club and our expectations for him as a Timbers player are extremely high," said Gavin Wilkinson, general manager and president of soccer for the Timbers. "We look forward to integrating him into the group and once he is acclimated we are confident he will be a very effective and dominant left back in our league."
Bravo, 23, began his career in the youth academy of Banfield, making his debut for the first team as a second-half substitute in a 4-0 win over Rosario Central on Sept. 24, 2017. The defender tallied four assists in 56 appearances (54 starts) across all competitions for Banfield (2017-20). Bravo most recently started in Banfield's 1-1 draw against Rosario Central on Dec. 4, 2020 in Copa Diego Maradona play. During the 2019-20 campaign, Bravo logged one assist in 17 appearances (17 starts) during Liga Profesional de FÃºtbol play for Banfield, in addition to making two appearances in the Copa Argentina and one start in the 2020 Copa de la Superliga.
"Claudio is a young talent who has all the attributes for a great future," said Timbers head coach Giovanni Savarese. "We are very excited to have him, and his skillset is a very good balance of offense and defense at his position."
The Quilmes, Argentina, native appeared in 17 matches (17 starts) during the 2018-19 season, tallying two assists in Liga Profesional de FÃºtbol play, while also making two starts in the 2019 Copa de la Superliga. Notably, Bravo made two starts for Banfield in the 2018 Copa Sudamericana. In his first season as a professional during the 2017-18 campaign, Bravo made nine appearances (7 starts) for Banfield.
At the international level, Bravo has made eight appearances for Argentina's U-23 Men's National Team, helping them win the 2020 CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament.
Bravo will occupy an international slot on the Timbers roster.
Transaction: Portland Timbers acquire defender Claudio Bravo via transfer from Liga Profesional de FÃºtbol side Club Atlético Banfield using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) on Dec. 17, 2020.
Born: March 13, 1997, in Quilmes, Argentina
Last Club: Club Atlético Banfield (Argentina)
Acquired: Acquired via transfer from Liga Profesional de FÃºtbol side Club Atlético Banfield using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) on Dec. 17, 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 17, 2020
- Sounders FC Announces Gunbir Gill as Club's Official eMLS Gamer for 2021 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Selects Midfielder Raheem Edwards in Stage 1 of 2020 Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Winner of Supporter-Designed New Nordecke Patch Contest - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United, LAFC and Sporting Kansas City Acquire Players in Stage 1 of Re-Entry Process - MLS
- Timbers Acquire Defender Claudio Bravo - Portland Timbers
- Sporting KC Acquires Goalkeeper Kendall McIntosh - Sporting Kansas City
- Atlanta Selects Andrew Gutman with No. 1 Pick in Re-Entry Draft - Atlanta United FC
- Austin FC Acquires Finnish International and NYCFC Captain Alex Ring Ahead of Inaugural MLS Season - Austin FC
- New York City FCÂ AcquiresÂ Up to $1.25M in General Allocation MoneyÂ from Austin FC ForÂ Alex Ring - New York City FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire $75,000 in General Allocation Money from Atlanta United FC - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta acquires No. 1 pick in Thursday's Re-Entry Draft - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Forward Jonathan Lewis to New Contract - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Trades Fafa Picault to Houston Dynamo FC - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Fafa Picault from FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo FC
- 2020 Year in Review: Top On-Field Moments - Colorado Rapids
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Stunner Voted Greatest Goal Presented by AT&T - MLS
- Impact Acquires Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic from Chicago Fire - Club de Foot Montreal
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires up to $1,000,000 in General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact in Exchange for Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic - Chicago Fire FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce Danny Higginbotham as Primary Broadcast Color Analyst - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Open CONCACAF Champions League Play with 2-2 Road Draw against C.D. Marathon in First Leg
- Timbers Announce Additional Roster Moves Ahead of 2021 Campaign
- Timbers Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic Undergoes Successful Athletic Pubalgia Surgery
- Timbers, Thorns FC Launch Tiktok for Good Custom Scarf Collection
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced