Phantoms Comeback Falls Just Short
Lehigh Valley, Pa. - The Lehigh Valley Phantoms (27-20-3-2) made it close with a two-goal third period, but were unable to complete the comeback against the Hershey Bears (29-20-0-3) as they fell 4-3. Tyrell Goulbourne, Nicolas Aube-Kubel, and Mikhail Vorobyev all scored for the Phantoms as they dropped the final game of a 3-in-3 weekend in front of a sold out PPL Center crowd.
Tyrell Goulbourne got things started for Lehigh Valley eight minutes into the first period with his sixth goal of the season. Jori Lehtera put a shot on net that trickled through Vitek Vanecek and sat loose in the goal crease. Goulbourne was able to out hustle the Hershey defender and jam it over the line to give the Phantoms a 1-0 lead.
Hershey got one back to even the score seven minutes later. Beck Malenstyn was able to tip a shot from Ryan Sproul down through the five-hole of Brian Elliott to tie it up 1-1.
Malenstyn wasn't done, as he scored his second goal of the game less than three minutes later. The Hershey winger skated down the right side and ripped a shot from the circle that beat Elliott to give the Bears a 2-0 lead.
Hershey took a 3-1 six minutes into the second period. With Steven Swavely in the penalty box for hooking, Mike Sgarbossa netted a power-play goal for his team-leading 23rd tally of the season for the Bears.
The Bears made it four unanswered goals as Ryan Sproul picked up his third point of the night with his seventh goal of the season.
Lehigh Valley was able to get one back just two minutes into the third as Nicolas Aube-Kubel scored his 11th of the season to cut it to 4-2. It was Aube-Kubel's first goal since January 5 after he missed 10 games with a lower-body injury.
The Phantoms made it a one-goal game with 5:23 to go as Mikhail Vorobyev sniped one top shelf from below the circle for a plower-play goal. It was the seventh goal of the season for Vorobyev, who was just loaned to the Phantoms by the Flyers yesterday. Unfortunately for Lehigh Valley, they were not able to complete the comeback as Hershey won 4-3 to earn at least a point in their 15th straight game.
1: F Beck Malenstyn (HER) - 2 goals
2: D Ryan Sproul (HER) - 1 goal, 2 assists
3: F Nic Aube-Kubel (LV) - 1 goal, 1 assist
LV - (7:38) Tyrell Goulbourne (6) (Lehtera, McDonald)
HER - (13:52) Beck Malenstyn (5) (Sproul, Hobbs); (16:48) Beck Malenstyn (6) (Pilon, Sproul)
LV - None
HER - (6:28) Mike Sgarbossa (23) (Barber, Ness); (8:20) Ryan Sproul (7) (Megna, Pinho)
LV - (2:07) Nic Aube-Kubel (11) (Bunnaman, Samuelsson); (14:37) Mikhail Vorobyev (7) (Twarynski, Aube-Kubel)
HER - None
NEXT TIME OUT: The Phantoms will fly south next weekend as they take on the first place, Charlotte Checkers next Friday and Saturday. It'll be Lehigh Valley's first trip to Charlotte this season, and the teams split the first series in Allentown.
Follow the action @LVPhantoms on Twitter, on AHLTV or the Phantoms365 App.
Tickets for each and every Phantoms home game throughout the 2018-19 season are available online at pplcenter.com, by calling 610-347-TIXX  or in-person at the QNB Box Office [7th & Hamilton].
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 17, 2019
- Quine Hat Trick Guides Stockton Past Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Quine's Hat Trick Leads Stockton to 6-3 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Davidson, IceHogs Edge Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Comeback Falls Just Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Malenstyn Scores Twice, Bears Top Phantoms 4-3 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Clipped by Comets in Overtime, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Scare off Monsters in Overtime Thriller - Utica Comets
- Admirals End Moose Streak at Home - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Seize Overtime Win - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Falls to Chicago 2-1 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Penguins Defeat Wolf Pack in Overtime, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Agozzino Receives Call up to NHL, Dries and Toninato Return - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Rout Devils 5-1 to Close out Busy Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Ho-Sang scores natural hat trick as part of five-point effort on Sunday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Edges Wolf Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils End Weekend with 5-1 Loss to Amerks - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Fall 5-1 to T-Birds - Providence Bruins
- Six Unanswered Strikes Sink Charlotte in 7-3 Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Wideman, Driedger Lead T-Birds to Convincing Win in Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Ottawa Reassigns Rodewald to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Nelson - Rochester Americans
- Heat Seek Weekend Sweep of Colorado Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Dvorak to Tucson for Conditioning - Tucson Roadrunners
- Florida Panthers Recall G Sam Montembeault from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Archibald, Gustavsson Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 5:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Mitchell's Goal Pushes Reign to OT Point - Ontario Reign
- Condors Work OT for 15th Straight Win, 2-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Four-Score and Shootout Ago, Hogs Mount Wild Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.