P-Bruins Fall 5-1 to T-Birds
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins fell to the Springfield Thunderbirds 5-1 Sunday afternoon as Zane McIntyre's 12-game winning streak came to an end. The P-Bruins got their lone goal from Jordan Szwarz while Zane McIntyre made his 32nd start of the season in net.
The Providence Bruins started off the 1st period moving fast defensively but Springfield showed their competitive edge and managed to light the lamp first. Anthony Greco potted the first goal at 5:26 with a helper from Ryan Horvat, giving Springfield at 1-0 lead. The P-Bruins struggled to keep up as Chris Wideman tallied the T-Birds second goal of the game and his first of the season, unassisted at 15:22 putting the Thunderbirds ahead 2-0 into the 1st intermission.
The P-Bruins tried to make a comeback in the beginning of the second, moving fast and keeping the puck in their possession. However, the T-Birds stayed vigilant and Harry Zolnierczyk netted their third goal of the game at 13:58 during a power play. Assisted by Tomas Jurco and Chris Wideman, this moved the Springfield lead to 3-0 into the 2nd intermission.
Providence took on the third period by storm when Jordan Szwarz potted a goal only 49 seconds in, with an assist from Urho Vaakanainen. Tensions were high as the game continued, leading Springfield to score two more goals. The first goal came from Chris Wideman at 13:28, his second of the game. The helpers on the play were Zolnierczyk and Jurco. Only minutes after that Jacob MacDonald netted the 5th goal for the T-Birds, assisted by Dryden Hunt and Matt Mangene at 14:38. The Providence Bruins could not come back and fell to the Thunderbirds 5-1.
McIntyre stopped 21 shots while Driedger stopped 26 shots. Providence was 0/5 on the power play and 3-6 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back at the Dunk on Friday night February 22nd when they take on the The Bridgeport Sound Tigers at 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 17, 2019
- Quine Hat Trick Guides Stockton Past Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Quine's Hat Trick Leads Stockton to 6-3 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Davidson, IceHogs Edge Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Comeback Falls Just Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Malenstyn Scores Twice, Bears Top Phantoms 4-3 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Clipped by Comets in Overtime, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Scare off Monsters in Overtime Thriller - Utica Comets
- Admirals End Moose Streak at Home - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Seize Overtime Win - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Falls to Chicago 2-1 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Penguins Defeat Wolf Pack in Overtime, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Agozzino Receives Call up to NHL, Dries and Toninato Return - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Rout Devils 5-1 to Close out Busy Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Ho-Sang scores natural hat trick as part of five-point effort on Sunday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Edges Wolf Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils End Weekend with 5-1 Loss to Amerks - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Fall 5-1 to T-Birds - Providence Bruins
- Six Unanswered Strikes Sink Charlotte in 7-3 Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Wideman, Driedger Lead T-Birds to Convincing Win in Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Ottawa Reassigns Rodewald to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Nelson - Rochester Americans
- Heat Seek Weekend Sweep of Colorado Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Dvorak to Tucson for Conditioning - Tucson Roadrunners
- Florida Panthers Recall G Sam Montembeault from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Archibald, Gustavsson Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 5:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Mitchell's Goal Pushes Reign to OT Point - Ontario Reign
- Condors Work OT for 15th Straight Win, 2-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Four-Score and Shootout Ago, Hogs Mount Wild Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.