Wolves Seize Overtime Win
ROSEMONT, Illinois - The Chicago Wolves needed extra time, but rookie defenseman Erik Brannstrom's overtime goal lifted the Wolves over the Iowa Wild 2-1 on Sunday afternoon at Allstate Arena.
After killing off the remaining 28 seconds of a Tye McGinn penalty at the start of the overtime, the Wolves battled hard and were rewarded with Brannstrom's tally at the 3:35 point of the extra frame.
Brannstrom entered the zone to lead a 3-on-1 and centered the puck to forward Daniel Carr, who snapped a pass back to Brannstrom that the rookie slammed into the net from the right circle.
Forward Brooks Macek tallied the other goal for Chicago (28-17-5-1) while goaltender Max Lagace (11-7-3) saved 31 of 32 shots in the victory.
"Max played great," said Wolves head coach Rocky Thompson. "Max made some saves that are almost impossible saves in the third period to even just get us a point. We were fortunate tonight. We didn't deserve that. But because of Max's performance, we were able to find a way to win a really, really important game."
Forward J.T. Brown scored the lone goal for Iowa (27-16-5-4) while netminder C.J. Motte (1-0-3) saved 11 shots.
The Wolves took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission after Macek broke through at the 7:24 mark. Macek came off the bench and received a pass from center T.J. Tynan as he entered the zone, taking a step before sniping the shot over Motte.
The Wild knotted the game in the second when Brown hit home a pass at the back door 4:30 into the second frame. The game would remain tied through the third period and into the extra session before Brannstrom's seventh goal of the year and second overtime winner this year.
The Wolves continue their five-game homestand with games against divisional foes at 11 a.m. Thursday, 7 p.m. Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday. For the best ticket specials, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 17, 2019
- Quine Hat Trick Guides Stockton Past Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Quine's Hat Trick Leads Stockton to 6-3 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Davidson, IceHogs Edge Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Comeback Falls Just Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Malenstyn Scores Twice, Bears Top Phantoms 4-3 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Clipped by Comets in Overtime, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Scare off Monsters in Overtime Thriller - Utica Comets
- Admirals End Moose Streak at Home - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Seize Overtime Win - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Falls to Chicago 2-1 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Penguins Defeat Wolf Pack in Overtime, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Agozzino Receives Call up to NHL, Dries and Toninato Return - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Rout Devils 5-1 to Close out Busy Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Ho-Sang scores natural hat trick as part of five-point effort on Sunday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Edges Wolf Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils End Weekend with 5-1 Loss to Amerks - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Fall 5-1 to T-Birds - Providence Bruins
- Six Unanswered Strikes Sink Charlotte in 7-3 Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Wideman, Driedger Lead T-Birds to Convincing Win in Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Ottawa Reassigns Rodewald to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Nelson - Rochester Americans
- Heat Seek Weekend Sweep of Colorado Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Dvorak to Tucson for Conditioning - Tucson Roadrunners
- Florida Panthers Recall G Sam Montembeault from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Archibald, Gustavsson Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 5:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Mitchell's Goal Pushes Reign to OT Point - Ontario Reign
- Condors Work OT for 15th Straight Win, 2-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Four-Score and Shootout Ago, Hogs Mount Wild Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories
- Wolves Insider: Magic Number Down to 12
- Division-Leading Wolves Thrash San Antonio
- Monsters Snap Wolves' Home Winning Streak
- How to Own the Chicago Wolves' St. Patrick's Day Jerseys and Help Easterseals
- Wolves Insider: Eight Straight Home Wins for First-Place Wolves