Monsters Clipped by Comets in Overtime, 5-4
UTICA, NY - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters were defeated in overtime by the Utica Comets on Sunday at Adirondack Bank Center in Utica, NY by a final score of 5-4. With the overtime setback, the Monsters are now 24-22-6-1 overall this season and with 55 points, remain alone in sixth place in the AHL's North Division standings.
Cleveland grabbed a 1-0 lead on Sunday with a Doyle Somerby even-strength finish at 11:22 of the opening frame, thanks to assists from Dan DeSalvo and Dillon Simpson.
Somerby struck again, this time at four-on-four, courtesy of Adam Clendening and Paul Bittner's helpers at 32 seconds of the middle stanza before Kevin Stenlund notched an unassisted even-strength tally at 16:25 to make it 3-0 Cleveland. Utica responded prior to the end of the middle period, however, as former Monster Jaime Sifers connected at even-strength at 18:11 to make it 3-1 through 40 minutes of play.
The final frame saw the Comets string together three more unanswered goals, from Reid Boucher on the power-play at 9:27, and Bredan Gaunce and Tanner Kero at even-strength at 10:44 and 11:44 respectively, to claim their first lead at 4-3. Cleveland's Sam Vigneault netted a five-on-five equalizer at 13:00 thanks to feeds from Somerby and Simpson to force overtime, but in the extra session, Utica's Tom Pyatt delivered the Comets a 5-4 win with a decisive three-on-three score at 4:25.
Monsters goaltender Jean-Francois Berube stopped 28 of the 33 shots he faced to fall to 16-15-5 this season while Utica's Michael Leighton improved to 6-2-0 this year by virtue of a 25-save performance.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Wednesday road clash vs. the Rochester Americans with full coverage, live from Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, NY, underway at 7:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters tickets for the hottest games of the year on sale now and start at only $10 per seat! Additionally, 2019-20 Monsters Hockey Club memberships, including the best seats for each game, the lowest ticket prices, exclusive year-round benefits and free gear are also on sale now. Visit www.clevelandmonsters.com/holiday or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters battle the Utica Comets
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 17, 2019
- Quine Hat Trick Guides Stockton Past Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Quine's Hat Trick Leads Stockton to 6-3 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Davidson, IceHogs Edge Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Comeback Falls Just Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Malenstyn Scores Twice, Bears Top Phantoms 4-3 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Clipped by Comets in Overtime, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Scare off Monsters in Overtime Thriller - Utica Comets
- Admirals End Moose Streak at Home - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Seize Overtime Win - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Falls to Chicago 2-1 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Penguins Defeat Wolf Pack in Overtime, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Agozzino Receives Call up to NHL, Dries and Toninato Return - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Rout Devils 5-1 to Close out Busy Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Ho-Sang scores natural hat trick as part of five-point effort on Sunday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Edges Wolf Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils End Weekend with 5-1 Loss to Amerks - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Fall 5-1 to T-Birds - Providence Bruins
- Six Unanswered Strikes Sink Charlotte in 7-3 Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Wideman, Driedger Lead T-Birds to Convincing Win in Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Ottawa Reassigns Rodewald to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Nelson - Rochester Americans
- Heat Seek Weekend Sweep of Colorado Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Dvorak to Tucson for Conditioning - Tucson Roadrunners
- Florida Panthers Recall G Sam Montembeault from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Archibald, Gustavsson Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 5:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Mitchell's Goal Pushes Reign to OT Point - Ontario Reign
- Condors Work OT for 15th Straight Win, 2-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Four-Score and Shootout Ago, Hogs Mount Wild Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.