Four-Score and Shootout Ago, Hogs Mount Wild Comeback
Rockford, Ill. - Jordan Schroeder tallied twice and Victor Ejdsell scored the shootout game-winner as the Rockford IceHogs mounted an improbable four-goal comeback to defeat the Iowa Wild, 5-4, in front of a packed house of 5,087 fans Saturday night at the BMO Harris Bank Center. The win gives Rockford seven victories in its last nine games.
Ejdsell's winner was the loan goal in the shootout. IceHogs goaltender Kevin Lankinen stymied all three Iowa attempts, while Henri Jokiharju and Schroeder failed to convert for Rockford prior to Ejdsell's clincher.
After Rockford fell into a 4-0 hole, Schroeder gave the IceHogs life with a power-play goal in the waning minutes of the second period. The veteran forward wired a wrister from the left circle high to the glove side of Iowa goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen to get Rockford on the board.
The IceHogs continued to chip away in the third, starting with a Luke Johnson marker 4:38 into the frame. Just over five minutes later, Schroeder netted his second of the contest on a one-timer from the slot to pull Rockford within one.
Joni Tuulola brought the IceHogs all the way back with 4:01 remaining in regulation. Andreas Martinsen set up the play with a cross-ice feed from the right boards, then Tuulola fired the puck from the left dot high to Kahkonen's blocker side for the tying goal.
Lankinen earned his third win in his last four starts thanks to the shootout victory. In his last two shootout appearances, Lankinen has stopped all five opponent attempts.
Next Home Game: Sunday, Feb. 17 vs. San Antonio | 4 p.m.
The IceHogs take on the San Antonio Rampage for Discovery Night at the BMO Harris Bank Center. The first 2,500 fans in attendance will receive a FREE limited-edition IceHogs 20th anniversary poster, courtesy of Hub Printing.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 17, 2019
- Quine Hat Trick Guides Stockton Past Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Quine's Hat Trick Leads Stockton to 6-3 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Davidson, IceHogs Edge Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Comeback Falls Just Short - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Malenstyn Scores Twice, Bears Top Phantoms 4-3 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Clipped by Comets in Overtime, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Scare off Monsters in Overtime Thriller - Utica Comets
- Admirals End Moose Streak at Home - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Seize Overtime Win - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Falls to Chicago 2-1 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Penguins Defeat Wolf Pack in Overtime, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Agozzino Receives Call up to NHL, Dries and Toninato Return - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Rout Devils 5-1 to Close out Busy Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Ho-Sang scores natural hat trick as part of five-point effort on Sunday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Edges Wolf Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils End Weekend with 5-1 Loss to Amerks - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Fall 5-1 to T-Birds - Providence Bruins
- Six Unanswered Strikes Sink Charlotte in 7-3 Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Wideman, Driedger Lead T-Birds to Convincing Win in Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Ottawa Reassigns Rodewald to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Nelson - Rochester Americans
- Heat Seek Weekend Sweep of Colorado Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Coyotes Assign Dvorak to Tucson for Conditioning - Tucson Roadrunners
- Florida Panthers Recall G Sam Montembeault from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Archibald, Gustavsson Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 5:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Mitchell's Goal Pushes Reign to OT Point - Ontario Reign
- Condors Work OT for 15th Straight Win, 2-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Four-Score and Shootout Ago, Hogs Mount Wild Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs to Host Day of the Dead Night on November 2 at the BMO
- Get Discounted Tickets, Win Dach Autographed Jersey Friday
- Hogs Cap Homestand with $2 Beer, Magnet Schedule Giveaway
- $5 Kids Tickets, Skate & Pet-Item Drive in Matinee Tomorrow vs. Laval
- Third Overall Pick Dach Assigned to Rockford on Conditioning Stint