Peralta Falters, 'Birds Fall to Suns
SALISBURY, MD - The Hagerstown Suns mystified Delmarva Shorebirds hitters all night long as they cruised to a 5-1 victory on Friday night at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
Despite the loss, the Shorebirds' magic number still dropped from five to three thanks the Lakewood BlueClaws' doubleheader sweep of the second-place Greensboro Grasshoppers.
Jake Irvin (4-3) garnered the win for the Suns (27-24). The Nationals' No. 16 prospect threw 5.1 innings of shutout baseball, allowing just two hit and two walks while striking out three.
Ofelky Peralta (4-1) was saddled with his first loss of the season for the Shorebirds (45-15). Peralta lasted four innings and allowed four runs on six hits, three walks, and six strikeouts.
Hagerstown opened the scoring in the third. Jose Sanchez singled to begin the frame and Justin Connell reached on a botched fielder's choice to put two aboard. After an attempted sacrifice bunt ended in a fielder's choice at third base, Jacob Rhinesmith beat out an infield single to load the bases. Following a pop-up, Israel Pineda worked a two-out walk to force home the first run of the game. Kyle Marinconz kept the line moving when he legged out an RBI infield single to put the Suns ahead 2-0.
The Suns doubled their lead in the fourth. Sanchez walked with one away to begin the rally and Connell singled to put two on. A wild pitch then allowed both runners to advance into scoring position. After a strikeout, Rhinesmith bounced a ball through the right side, plating both runners and pushing Hagerstown ahead 4-0.
Hagerstown extended their advantage by scoring for the third straight inning in the fifth. Pineda walked to start the frame and after a popup and flyout, Ricardo Mendez singled putting men at first and second. Sanchez proceeded to rip a single to left scoring Pineda, but Mendez was thrown out at third to end the inning with the Suns on top 5-0.
The Shorebirds broke the Suns' shutout bid in the eighth. With one away, Jean Carlos Encarnacion laced a pitch down the line and over the left field wall for a solo homer, his fifth of the year, giving the game its final tally of 5-1.
Adam Hall collected his team leading 24th multi-hit game of the year for Delmarva, going 2-for-4. Cadyn Grenier reached base twice, finishing 1-for-3 with a walk.
Pineda reached base safely four times for Hagerstown, going 2-for-3 with an RBI, run scored, and two walks. Connell scored twice as he went 1-for-3 with two walks. Rhinesmith had a multi-hit and multi-RBI game, going 2-for-5 with two RBIs. Sanchez was again effective out of the ninth spot in the order, finishing 2-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored.
The Shorebirds look to get back on the wagon against the Suns on Saturday night. Hector Guance (2-2, 4.42) draws the start for Delmarva against Hagerstown's Francys Peguero (2-4, 2.59). First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. with gates opening at 4:00 for batting practice. Saturday night at Perdue Stadium is Mountaire Farms Faith & Family Night, featuring an appearance from former Washington Redskins great Gary Clark. There will also be a Q105 Fireworks show after the game. Pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 6:20 with Will DeBoer and Sam Jellinek on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 7, 2019
- Moyers' Seven Strong Innings Stifle Drive in 4-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Peralta Falters, 'Birds Fall to Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Asheville Stymies Charleston Hitters as Dogs Fall in Game Two - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Take Down Braves 7-2 - Rome Braves
- BlueClaws Sweep Double-Header with Pair of 2-1 Wins - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Series Evened up with Impressive Win - Asheville Tourists
- Tonight's Game Suspended, Will be Picked up Tomorrow as Part of Doubleheader - Augusta GreenJackets
- Weather Postpones Friday Night's Game - Hickory Crawdads
- Friday's Game in Hickory Postponed Due to Rain - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington's Southpaw Austin Cox Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week - Lexington Legends
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Brandon Lockridge Named to 2019 All-Star Roster as Replacement - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Dads Walk-Off in the Ninth on Novoa's Double - Hickory Crawdads
- Game Notes (June 7) - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Series Opener in Walk-Off Fashion - Hagerstown Suns
- Lexington Defeats Rome 8-7 in 10 Innings - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.