BlueClaws Sweep Double-Header with Pair of 2-1 Wins
LAKEWOOD, NJ - The BlueClaws picked up a pair of 2-1 wins over Greensboro on Friday night to sweep a double-header from the Grasshoppers.
Lakewood (23-38) had been 1-10 against Greensboro (39-22) coming into the day. The BlueClaws have won five of six on their current homestand.
Ismael Cabrera got the last two outs of the final inning, stranding runners at second and third, as the BlueClaws held off Greensboro 2-1 at FirstEnergy Park. Cabrera, who earned his first save, got Mason Martin to line out to left field to end the game.
The BlueClaws took the lead in the third inning when Rafael Marchan grounded into a double play. Lakewood had taken the lead in the first inning on an RBI single by Luke Miller.
Lakewood starter Victor Santos gave up one run over 4.2 innings of work. Gilmael Troya (1-0), earned the win, allowing no runs over 1.2 innings of relief.
Greensboro starter Alex Manasa (6-1) gave up two runs over six innings but took the loss. Jonathan Guzman had two hits and two stolen bases for the BlueClaws, giving him a team-leading 18 on the season.
Jonathan Guzman gave the BlueClaws a 2-1 win with an RBI single in the fifth as Lakewood swept the double-header.
Cole Stobbe hit a solo home run to start the bottom of the fifth inning to tie the game at 1. It was Stobbe's sixth home run of the year.
After Jake Holmes walked, he was bunted to second base by Jack Conley and Guzman put the BlueClaws ahead on an RBI single to left-center.
Lakewood starter Francisco Morales (1-3) gave up one unearned run over five innings. He struck out seven without a walk. Rafi Gonell got the last six outs for his first professional save.
Connor Loeprich (1-3) took the loss, allowing two runs in five innings.
Guzman and Stobbe each had two hits for the BlueClaws.
The teams will continue their series on Saturday night at 7:05 pm. RHP James McArthur will start for the BlueClaws.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 7, 2019
- Moyers' Seven Strong Innings Stifle Drive in 4-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Peralta Falters, 'Birds Fall to Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Asheville Stymies Charleston Hitters as Dogs Fall in Game Two - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Take Down Braves 7-2 - Rome Braves
- BlueClaws Sweep Double-Header with Pair of 2-1 Wins - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Series Evened up with Impressive Win - Asheville Tourists
- Tonight's Game Suspended, Will be Picked up Tomorrow as Part of Doubleheader - Augusta GreenJackets
- Weather Postpones Friday Night's Game - Hickory Crawdads
- Friday's Game in Hickory Postponed Due to Rain - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington's Southpaw Austin Cox Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week - Lexington Legends
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Brandon Lockridge Named to 2019 All-Star Roster as Replacement - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Dads Walk-Off in the Ninth on Novoa's Double - Hickory Crawdads
- Game Notes (June 7) - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Series Opener in Walk-Off Fashion - Hagerstown Suns
- Lexington Defeats Rome 8-7 in 10 Innings - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.