P-Bruins Win on OT Penalty Shot from Fitzgerald
Bridgeport, CT - The Providence Bruins defeated the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in overtime Saturday night 2-1, pushing their point streak up to six games. The P-Bruins got goals from Wiley Sherman and Ryan Fitzgerald while Dan Vladar made his ninth start of the season in net.
Providence had three power plays in the opening period, but could get nothing through Sound Tigers goalie Christopher Gibson in the first. Late in the frame each side came close to cracking the scoreboard, as Martin Bakos for the Bruins and Tanner Fritz for the Sound Tigers rang the iron. Providence outshot Bridgeport 10-7 in the period, but the sides headed to the intermission scoreless.
Sherman put the P-Bruins out in front 5:48 into the second period with his second goal of the season. Austin Fyten fired the initial shot on Gibson that went wide to the corner where Anton Blidh corralled it. Blidh charged the net to draw the attention of the defense, but after getting in close passed to Sherman at the left halfboards. With Fyten screening in front, his shot hit the back of the net to give Providence a 1-0 lead after two periods.
Bridgeport tied things up 1-1 just 1:54 into the final frame on a beautiful goal and set-up. Josh Ho-Sang fought for and won the puck in the left corner and sent a great backhand feed to Parker Wotherspoon at the right dot. He blasted a one-timer by Vladar for his third goal of the season and eventually the game headed to overtime tied 1-1. Fitzgerald looked to be heading for a breakaway overtime chance midway through the extra period, but was hooked by a Bridgeport defender to break up the look. However, the referee awarded a penalty shot to Fitzgerald at 3:04, and he did not disappoint. Walking in slowly, he fired a forehand shot over the shoulder Gibson for his seventh goal of the season and gave Providence the 2-1 win.
Vladar stopped 29-30 shots while Gibson stopped 27-29. Providence was 0-5 on the power play and 1-6 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins conclude their weekend of action tomorrow night at the Dunk when they take on the first place Charlotte Checkers at 3:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 1, 2018
- Griffins Extend Win Streak to Five - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Completes Comeback in 3-2 Victory against Colorado - Iowa Wild
- Wild Rally to Defeat Colorado, 3-2 in a Shootout - Colorado Eagles
- Spencer Foo's Two Goals Not Enough in the Comeback Bid against San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Nolan Leads Rampage Past Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Wolves Can't Handle Rampage - Chicago Wolves
- Michael McCarron Notches Four Points in Tight 5-4 Loss to Utica Comets - Laval Rocket
- Tokarski, Late Scores Lift Pack over Charlotte - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Fall at the Death to Lehigh Valley - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in Binghamton - Rochester Americans
- Wotherspoon scores lone goal on Saturday as the Sound Tigers earn a point for the 11th straight home game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Walker Scores Twice in Losing Effort to Springfield - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Win on OT Penalty Shot from Fitzgerald - Providence Bruins
- Greco Scores Two More as T-Birds Down Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McCollum, Admirals Shutout Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Checkers Suffer Road Loss in Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Penguins Fall in High-Flying Affair with Marlies - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Power Play Lifts Comets over Rocket - Utica Comets
- Monsters Drop Saturday Matinee to Crunch, 5-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Outlast Monsters, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Eagles Recall Defensemen Davis, Anderson from Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Jets Recall Nelson Nogier from Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Hosts First Place San Jose for Hip Hop Night at 6 PM - Stockton Heat
- Moose Recall Cam Maclise - Manitoba Moose
- 'Canes Reassign Bean to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Condors Host Soccer Ball Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Marlies Start Homestand Saturday against Penguins - Toronto Marlies
- Ottawa Recalls Sens Captain Burgdoerfer - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Phantoms, December 1 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Thunderbirds at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Begin December against Bruins, T-Birds - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sabres Recall Tennyson from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Fall to Monsters, 4-3, in OT - Syracuse Crunch
- Reign Doubled by Stockton, 4-2 - Ontario Reign
- Blandisi's Third-Period Shortie the Winner for Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Manitoba Offense Quieter in Loss at San Diego - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Wins 4-2 on Harry Potter Sock Toss Night, Behind Josh Healey's First Pro Goal - Stockton Heat
- Aube-Kubel Lifts Phantoms over Rocket 3-2 in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Drops Contest to Colorado 3-2 in the Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Colorado Wins Fourth Straight with 3-2 Shootout Victory over Iowa - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Fall to Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener
- Bruins Assign Axel Andersson to QMJHL's Moncton Wildcats
- P-Bruins Top Hershey Bears in Overtime, 2-1
- P-Bruins Defeat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 3-0, in Season Opener