Crunch Outlast Monsters, 5-3
CLEVELAND, OHIO. - The Syracuse Crunch extended their points streak to 12 consecutive games with a 5-3 victory over the Cleveland Monsters this afternoon at Quicken Loans Arena.
Cameron Gaunce paced the team with three assists, while Dennis Yan put up a two-goal performance. The win advances the Crunch to 12-5-2-0 on the season and 1-0-1-0 in the four-game series against the Monsters.
Eddie Pasquale earned the win in net for the Crunch turning aside 35-of-38 shots. Monsters goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks allowed three goals on seven shots before being relieved by Jean-Francois Berube in the first period. Berube went on to stop 19-of-20. Syracuse was unable to convert on three power play opportunities, while the penalty kill shut down all five Cleveland man-advantages.
Syracuse opened scoring 1:49 into the game. After getting the puck from Gaunce, Yan came in on an odd-man rush and went off the far post and in from the left circle. Ross Colton collected the secondary helper. Just 39 seconds later, the Monsters got it back. Mark Letestu threw a centering feed for Sonny Milano to shovel in from the crease.
The Crunch added back-to-back goals two minutes apart to regain the lead in the first period. At the 11:03 mark, Taylor Raddysh threw a shot on net from the right post that Kivlenieks caught a piece of, but it trickled passed the netminder and across the goal line. Alex Volkov and Gaunce earned points on the tally. Yan then potted his second of the game off a quick passing play from Carter Verhaeghe to Alex Barre-Boulet in the slot. The rookie teed up a feed for Yan to pick up and send home as he cut down the center. The goal chased Kivlenieks from the game.
The Monsters got one back with 4:55 remaining in the opening frame. Pasquale made the save on Eric Robinson, but Doyle Somerby followed behind the play and backhanded home the rebound. The secondary assist went to Kole Sherwood.
Syracuse went back up by two with a shorthanded goal 3:16 into the second period. Boris Katchouk got the puck from Ben Thomas and lit the lamp with a slap shot from the left circle.
Cleveland came back within one halfway through the final frame. Gabriel Carlsson ripped a one-timer from the right point that ricocheted off Pasquale's pad and out for Vitaly Abramov to clean up. Sam Vigneault got a point on the goal.
Cory Conacher added an empty netter with the help of Gaunce in the final seconds to seal the win.
The Crunch return home to host the Binghamton Devils on Friday at 7 p.m.
Single game tickets and packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Alex Barré-Boulet is on a nine-game points streak (6g, 6a)...The Crunch lead the league with six shorthanded goals... Cory Conacher is on a ten-game points streak (9g, 15a).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 1, 2018
- Griffins Extend Win Streak to Five - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Completes Comeback in 3-2 Victory against Colorado - Iowa Wild
- Wild Rally to Defeat Colorado, 3-2 in a Shootout - Colorado Eagles
- Spencer Foo's Two Goals Not Enough in the Comeback Bid against San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Nolan Leads Rampage Past Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Wolves Can't Handle Rampage - Chicago Wolves
- Michael McCarron Notches Four Points in Tight 5-4 Loss to Utica Comets - Laval Rocket
- Tokarski, Late Scores Lift Pack over Charlotte - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Fall at the Death to Lehigh Valley - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in Binghamton - Rochester Americans
- Wotherspoon scores lone goal on Saturday as the Sound Tigers earn a point for the 11th straight home game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Walker Scores Twice in Losing Effort to Springfield - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Win on OT Penalty Shot from Fitzgerald - Providence Bruins
- Greco Scores Two More as T-Birds Down Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McCollum, Admirals Shutout Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Checkers Suffer Road Loss in Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Penguins Fall in High-Flying Affair with Marlies - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Power Play Lifts Comets over Rocket - Utica Comets
- Monsters Drop Saturday Matinee to Crunch, 5-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Outlast Monsters, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Eagles Recall Defensemen Davis, Anderson from Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Jets Recall Nelson Nogier from Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Hosts First Place San Jose for Hip Hop Night at 6 PM - Stockton Heat
- Moose Recall Cam Maclise - Manitoba Moose
- 'Canes Reassign Bean to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Condors Host Soccer Ball Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Marlies Start Homestand Saturday against Penguins - Toronto Marlies
- Ottawa Recalls Sens Captain Burgdoerfer - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Phantoms, December 1 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Thunderbirds at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Begin December against Bruins, T-Birds - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sabres Recall Tennyson from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Fall to Monsters, 4-3, in OT - Syracuse Crunch
- Reign Doubled by Stockton, 4-2 - Ontario Reign
- Blandisi's Third-Period Shortie the Winner for Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Manitoba Offense Quieter in Loss at San Diego - Manitoba Moose
- Stockton Wins 4-2 on Harry Potter Sock Toss Night, Behind Josh Healey's First Pro Goal - Stockton Heat
- Aube-Kubel Lifts Phantoms over Rocket 3-2 in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Drops Contest to Colorado 3-2 in the Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Colorado Wins Fourth Straight with 3-2 Shootout Victory over Iowa - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Crunch Edge Checkers, 2-1, in Overtime
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Oleg Sosunov to Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - March 19, 2019
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Cameron Gaunce from Syracuse Crunch