P-Bruins Week in Review 1/2/17-1/8/17
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins continued to climb up the AHL standing after another successful weekend. The team started off with a home-and-home series against the Springfield Thunderbirds that saw each road team earn a 4-1 victory. They returned home to face the Hartford Wolf Pack and capped the weekend with their first shutout of the season 3-0. The P-Bruins are now 21-8-4-3 with 49 points, good for third in both the Atlantic division and the Eastern Conference.
Jake DeBrusk led Providence with two goals this weekend though saw his team best eight-game point streak snapped Sunday. The streak, which started December 18, saw him score six goals and register two assists to push his season totals up to 10 goals and 10 assists. Alex Grant and Tommy Cross led the team with four total points over the weekend, each registering a goal and three assists. For Grant, the goal was the 50th of his AHL career and the assists made him the team leader in the category with 17 for the season. For Cross the goal was his sixth which marks a new career high for the veteran defenseman. He is also four games away from fifth all-time in Providence history. Peter Cehlarik remains the team leader with 14 goals and Wayne Simpson remains the leading scorer with 25 points (11 g, 14 a).
Anton Khudobin provided both wins between the pipes for the P-Bruins including the team's first shutout win of the season on Sunday. He stopped all but one of the 40 shots he faced in his two starts after being sent to Providence January 6. In five starts with Providence overall he is now 4-0-1 with a 2.33 GAA.
The move for Khudobin was necessary because All-Star goalie Zane McIntyre was recalled for his second NHL stint with Boston on January 6. He lead all qualified goalies in GAA (1.41), save % (95.1) and goals allowed (16) before his promotion while being named Goaltender of the Month in December. Providence received another familiar face when Noel Acciari was also sent down from Boston the same day. With injuries to defensemen mounting, the team signed Taylor Doherty to a PTO on January 3 and he made his Bruins debut over the weekend.
Providence again will have two home games this week as they take on Utica Friday night at 7:05 at the Dunk and Bridgeport Sunday afternoon at 3:05pm. The team will also travel back to Springfield for their loan road game of the weekend, a 7:05 pm faceoff with the Thunderbirds.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2017
- Checkers Come Alive to Capsize Admirals 5-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals Stumble against Checkers - Milwaukee Admirals
- Goaltender Jeff Glas, IceHogs Agree to Terms - Rockford IceHogs
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Slater Koekkoek, Kristers Gudlevskis - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Ullmark - Rochester Americans
- Conference-Leading Griffins Hit the Road to Face Milwaukee and Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack Release Brandon Alderson from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Goaltender Joonas Korpisalo Recalled by Blue Jackets` - Cleveland Monsters
- Condors Take It Back Indoors Tonight at 7 p.m. against San Antonio - Bakersfield Condors
- Tuesday's Outdoor Practice in Belvidere Postponed - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Set for Rivalry Series with Hershey This Weekend - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Week in Review 1/2/17-1/8/17 - Providence Bruins
- Canucks Recall Defenseman Andrey Pedan from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Practice with the Pros in Five Locations - St. John's IceCaps
- Heat Head Off for Three-Game Road Trip; Return Home Next Week for Pride Night, Teddy Bear Toss - Stockton Heat
- Hurricanes Assign Andrej Nestrasil to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Albany Devils Transaction - Albany Devils
- Checkers Offering 90 Cent Tickets for 1950s Night - Charlotte Checkers
- Predators Recall Aberg, Saros and Assign Fiala and Mazanec to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Lightning Recall Gabriel Dumont, Kristers Gudlevskis and Reassign Adam Wilcox - Syracuse Crunch
- The Sound Tigers Report: Week 13 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- 2017 Spring Training Golf Classic - Portland Pirates
- Hogs Return Home for Illinois Lottery Cup Game - Rockford IceHogs
- Week 13 Report: Homestand Rolls on with Gulls and Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.