P-Bruins Fall to Hershey in Regular Season Finale
Hershey, PA - The Providence Bruins fell to the Hershey Bears Saturday night 3-0 in their regular season finale. The P-Bruins were shutout for the third time this season as Zane McIntyre got the start in goal.
The Bears opened up the scoring in the first period while on their first power play of the game. At 13:34, Christian Thomas took the puck in the right wing corner and sent a centering pass to Stanislav Galiev in front. With no shot available, Galiev backhanded a pass to Jakub Vrana alone to his right and he found the open net to give Hershey a 1-0 into the first intermission.
The second period was a struggle for Providence and it showed on the score board. While the P-Bruins were on a power play at 4:01, Nathan Walker and Dustin Gazley created a shorthanded break. After entering the offensive zone, Walker put a shot on McIntyre from the near hash that he saved with his pads, but Gazley was able sneak one by off the rebound to put the Bears up 2-0. Just 65 seconds later off a faceoff win in their defensive zone, Hershey was able to use transition to gain a 3-0 lead. Christian Thomas led Hampus Gustafsson up the left side and into his offensive zone, and Gustafsson sent a cross ice pass to Mattias Backman. Backman found the back of the net and the Bears entered the break up 3-0.
Vitek Vanecek did the rest in net for Hershey as he shut down any and all P-Bruin chances. Providence, who rested some of their key players in the game, was shutout by Vanecek for the second time this season as they fell 3-0.
McIntyre stopped 17-20 shots while Vanecek stopped all 28 shots he faced. Providence was 0-3 on the power play and 3-3 on the penalty kill. Providence has now secured the four seed in the Atlantic Division and will take on the one seeded Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins in the first round of the Calder Cup playoffs. Tickets for round one games at the Dunk will go on sale Monday at 10am, so stay tuned to ProvidenceBruins.com for the full first round schedule.
- - - - - The Providence Bruins are the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Boston Bruins, playing their home games at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI. Spanning more than 20 years, the Boston/Providence affiliation is one of the longest and most successful player development partnerships in professional hockey history.
For all the latest Providence Bruins news and updates visit ProvidenceBruins.com or follow the team on Facebook at facebook.com/providencebruins or Twitter at twitter.com/AHLBruins.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2017
- Game Recap | Amerks Close out Season with 3-0 Loss to Devils - Rochester Americans
- Game Recap: Penguins 5, Sound Tigers 4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage Double up Stars 6-3 in Regular Season Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Claim North Division Title with 5-2 Win over Comets - Syracuse Crunch
- Agozzino, Wolves Clinch Central Division Title - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins to Set Sail in Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces First-Round Schedules for 2017 - AHL
- Wolves Clinch Central Division Title; Open Calder Cup Playoffs - Chicago Wolves
- NEWS Checkers Announce First-Round Playoff Series - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals to Face Griffins in Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Open Calder Cup Playoffs against Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Season Ends with Loss to Crunch - Utica Comets
- RECAP: Penguins Come Back, Defeat Sound Tigers in Season Finale, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Iowa Cruises Past Rockford in Season Finale 5-2 - Iowa Wild
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Springfield Thunderbirds 5, Hartford Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- B-Sens Drop Finale 4-1 in Front of 4,896 - Binghamton Senators
- IceHogs Announce 2016-17 Team Awards - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Unveil Calder Cup Playoffs First Round Schedule - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- RECAP | RECAP | IceCaps Clinch Playoff Spot in 4-1 Win over Marlies - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Drop Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Announce First Round Schedule - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Start Playoffs with Providence on Friday. - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Fall to Hershey in Regular Season Finale - Providence Bruins
- Devils Blank Amerks to Close out Regular Season - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2016-17 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- Finale Features Fan Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Season Finale Tonight with Craft Beer and Spider-Man at 6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Close 2016-17 Regular Season - Ontario Reign
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Recall Milano, Forsberg From - Cleveland Monsters
- Purcell and Amadio Dazzle, Reign Fall in Shootout to Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Sink Hogs in Final Road Matchup - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Down Reign in 4-3 Shootout Win of Final Regular Season Road - San Diego Gulls
- Reinhart Scores in Condors 2-1 Loss to Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins' 3-2 OT Win Prolongs Division Suspense - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap | Amerks Edge Devils for 5-4 Win in Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Stars Blank Rampage 1-0 - San Antonio Rampage
- Comets Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt with Win - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Set Franchise Record with 12th Consecutive Win
- P-Bruins Tie Franchise Record, Beat Hershey Bears, 3-2, in Shootout
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2
- P-Bruins Extend Win Streak to Nine Games, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 2-1, in Overtime
- P-Bruins Win Eighth Straight Game, Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2