Comets Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt with Win
Utica, NY - Darren Archibald makes Comets history as the team defeated the Hartford Wolf Pack by a 5-4 score on Friday night at the Utica Memorial Auditorium. With a Toronto Marlies win against St. John's, the Comets playoff hopes remain intact.
The Comets jumped out to a roaring start with two goals in the first 4:56. Michael Carcone tallied his fifth of the year on a rebound goal after a wraparound chance. Alexandre Grenier and Mike Zalewski assisted on the goal. 56 seconds later, Nikolay Goldobin extended the lead with his first as a Comet and 16th of the year on a deflection tip. Curtis Valk fed the pass from the wing with Archibald also assisting on the goal. Dan Catenacci broke open the scoring for the Wolf Pack with a penalty shot goal at 12:43 for his ninth of the year. With nearly three minutes left in the first period, Ty Ronning scored from the corner shooting a puck off the skate of Richard Bachman and into the net. The unassisted goal was his second of the year.
The Comets regained the lead in the second period with a goal from Goldobin for his second of the night just four minutes in. His 17th of the year was assisted by Valk and Archibald. The 3-2 lead carried into the third period.
2:30 into the final frame, Archibald scored his 23rd of the year on a deflection. The tally marks the most goals scored in a single season in Comets history. Jordan Subban and Colby Robak assisted on the goal. Nicklas Jensen brought the game to a 4-3 score with a power play goal at 4:24. His 31st of the year was assisted by Vince Pedrie and Taylor Beck. After another Comets penalty, Andrey Pedan scored an unassisted shorthanded goal for his fifth of the year at 6:55. At 16:53, Jensen potted another goal for his second of the night and 32nd of the year. The one-timer score was assisted by Beck and Pedrie. Despite pulling the goalie for the extra attacker, the Wolf Pack could not tie the game.
Richard Bachman stopped 39 shots to move his record to 13-11-3. Brandon Halverson stopped 32 shots but fell to a record of 9-16-0. The Comets were scoreless on four power plays while the Wolf Pack converted on two of five power plays.
The regular season concludes tomorrow at the War Memorial. Faceoff against the Syracuse Crunch is slated for 7:00 p.m. The game will be broadcasted live on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL Live.
For the latest Comets news visit www.uticacomets.com or follow the team on Facebook (www.facebook.com/uticacomets), Twitter (@UticaComets), Instagram (@UticaComets), Snapchat (@UticaComets) and the Comets YouTube Channel.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2017
- Game Recap | Amerks Close out Season with 3-0 Loss to Devils - Rochester Americans
- Game Recap: Penguins 5, Sound Tigers 4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage Double up Stars 6-3 in Regular Season Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Claim North Division Title with 5-2 Win over Comets - Syracuse Crunch
- Agozzino, Wolves Clinch Central Division Title - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins to Set Sail in Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces First-Round Schedules for 2017 - AHL
- Wolves Clinch Central Division Title; Open Calder Cup Playoffs - Chicago Wolves
- NEWS Checkers Announce First-Round Playoff Series - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals to Face Griffins in Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Open Calder Cup Playoffs against Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Season Ends with Loss to Crunch - Utica Comets
- RECAP: Penguins Come Back, Defeat Sound Tigers in Season Finale, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Iowa Cruises Past Rockford in Season Finale 5-2 - Iowa Wild
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Springfield Thunderbirds 5, Hartford Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- B-Sens Drop Finale 4-1 in Front of 4,896 - Binghamton Senators
- IceHogs Announce 2016-17 Team Awards - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Unveil Calder Cup Playoffs First Round Schedule - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- RECAP | RECAP | IceCaps Clinch Playoff Spot in 4-1 Win over Marlies - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Drop Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Announce First Round Schedule - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Start Playoffs with Providence on Friday. - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Fall to Hershey in Regular Season Finale - Providence Bruins
- Devils Blank Amerks to Close out Regular Season - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2016-17 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- Finale Features Fan Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Season Finale Tonight with Craft Beer and Spider-Man at 6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Close 2016-17 Regular Season - Ontario Reign
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Recall Milano, Forsberg From - Cleveland Monsters
- Purcell and Amadio Dazzle, Reign Fall in Shootout to Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Sink Hogs in Final Road Matchup - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Down Reign in 4-3 Shootout Win of Final Regular Season Road - San Diego Gulls
- Reinhart Scores in Condors 2-1 Loss to Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins' 3-2 OT Win Prolongs Division Suspense - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap | Amerks Edge Devils for 5-4 Win in Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Stars Blank Rampage 1-0 - San Antonio Rampage
- Comets Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt with Win - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.