Iowa Cruises Past Rockford in Season Finale 5-2
ROCKFORD, IL - The Iowa Wild (36-31-7-2, 81 points) defeated the Rockford Ice Hogs (25-39-9-3, 62 points) 5-2 on Saturday night at the BMO Harris Bank Center. Wild rookie Gerald Mayhew scored twice and the club built a 5-0 early lead into the second period and cruised to a road victory. Rookie Luke Kunin and Dmitry Sokolov also added tallies as the team finished the season 19-15-4-0 on the road. Iowa goalie Steve Michalek (13-14-1) stopped 32 of 34 shots for the victory. Forward Kuris Gabriel also scored in the final game of the season, while center Pat Cannone picked up three assists. Rockford goalie Lars Johansson (12-17-4) suffered the loss with 27 saves. The game closed out the Wild's fourth season in Des Moines, the club's first over .500.
The Wild put together an impressive first period with three goals on 15 shots. Rookie Gerald Mayhew scored off a centering pass from Pat Cannone, potting his fifth goal of the season for the 1-0 lead at 5:18. Rookie Alex Tuch added an assist on the team's first goal of the night. The two connected again for Mayhew's second goal of the evening at 16:15 of the period. Cannone slipped a pass to the high slot for Mayhew and the Iowa rookie snapped a wrist shot over the shoulder of Johansson for his sixth goal of the season and a 2-0 Iowa lead. Rookie Luke Kunin made it 3-0 just 1:27 later, scoring off a centering feed from Tyler Graovac. Right wing Christoph Bertschy also had an assist on Kunin's fifth goal of the year in only his 11th game at 17:42.
Iowa continued the scoring early in the second period at 2:34 of the middle frame. Defenseman Mike Reilly held the puck in and lofted a backhand shot to the Rockford net. Camped out in front, Kurtis Gabriel tipped the puck past Johansson for the 4-0 lead. Center Pat Cannone added his third assist of the game on the play. Just 18 seconds later, rookie Dmitry Sokolov stuffed home a rebound for his first pro goal at 2:52, making it 5-0 Iowa. Fellow rookies Justin Kloos and Sam Anas each helped set up the fifth goal of the night.
The IceHogs got on the scoreboard at 5:39 of the third period, cutting the Wild lead to 5-1. Forward P.C. Labrie scored off a breakaway from Luke Snuggerud and Jake Dowell. William Pelletier scored at 12:11 of the third period to trim Iowa's lead to 5-2. His third of the year was set up by Brandon Mashinter and Robin Norell.
Follow the Iowa Wild on Twitter @IAWILD or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/iawild.
The Iowa Wild 2017-18 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center: and runs from October through April. Fans may purchase seats to see any of the team's 38 regular season home games at Wells Fargo Arena. Season tickets to see the Wild play its 2017-18 season at Wells Fargo Arena start at just $10 per game. For more information on tickets, including ticket plans and group seating, please contact the Wild ticket office by calling 515-564-8700 or go to www.iowawild.com.
-- IOWA WILD --
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2017
- Game Recap | Amerks Close out Season with 3-0 Loss to Devils - Rochester Americans
- Game Recap: Penguins 5, Sound Tigers 4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage Double up Stars 6-3 in Regular Season Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Claim North Division Title with 5-2 Win over Comets - Syracuse Crunch
- Agozzino, Wolves Clinch Central Division Title - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins to Set Sail in Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces First-Round Schedules for 2017 - AHL
- Wolves Clinch Central Division Title; Open Calder Cup Playoffs - Chicago Wolves
- NEWS Checkers Announce First-Round Playoff Series - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals to Face Griffins in Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Open Calder Cup Playoffs against Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Season Ends with Loss to Crunch - Utica Comets
- RECAP: Penguins Come Back, Defeat Sound Tigers in Season Finale, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Iowa Cruises Past Rockford in Season Finale 5-2 - Iowa Wild
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Springfield Thunderbirds 5, Hartford Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- B-Sens Drop Finale 4-1 in Front of 4,896 - Binghamton Senators
- IceHogs Announce 2016-17 Team Awards - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Unveil Calder Cup Playoffs First Round Schedule - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- RECAP | RECAP | IceCaps Clinch Playoff Spot in 4-1 Win over Marlies - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Drop Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Announce First Round Schedule - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Start Playoffs with Providence on Friday. - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Fall to Hershey in Regular Season Finale - Providence Bruins
- Devils Blank Amerks to Close out Regular Season - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2016-17 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- Finale Features Fan Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Season Finale Tonight with Craft Beer and Spider-Man at 6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Close 2016-17 Regular Season - Ontario Reign
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Recall Milano, Forsberg From - Cleveland Monsters
- Purcell and Amadio Dazzle, Reign Fall in Shootout to Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Sink Hogs in Final Road Matchup - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Down Reign in 4-3 Shootout Win of Final Regular Season Road - San Diego Gulls
- Reinhart Scores in Condors 2-1 Loss to Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins' 3-2 OT Win Prolongs Division Suspense - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap | Amerks Edge Devils for 5-4 Win in Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Stars Blank Rampage 1-0 - San Antonio Rampage
- Comets Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt with Win - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.