IceHogs Announce 2016-17 Team Awards
Rockford, Ill. - The Rockford IceHogs announced the recipients of their annual Team Awards for the 2016-17 season.
This year's recognitions include Brandon Mashinter - Most Valuable Player; Luke Johnson - Rookie of the Year; Eric Gustafsson - Defenseman of the Year; Martin Lundberg - Unsung Hero Award; Chris DeSousa - Heavy Hitter Award; Kyle Baun - Most Improved Player; and P.C. Labrie - Man of the Year.
The awards were presented by Blackhawks Senior Director of Minor League Affiliations, Mark Bernard, along with several season ticket holders, in a special pregame ceremony during Rockford's home finale on Saturday.
Mashinter contributed across the board this season as the IceHogs' team MVP, tallying 29 points on 15 goals and 14 assists, and recording 70 penalty minutes over 60 games. The three-year Hogs veteran served as an Alternate Captain for 37 contests and produced two of the team's seven three-point games on the year, including Rockford's lone hat trick on Nov. 12 vs. Charlotte. Mashinter also helped anchor the team's power-play unit and currently ranks third among IceHogs skaters in power-play goals (4), assists (6) and points (10).
Johnson, awarded for his standout AHL debut, totaled 8g-9a-17pts in 72 games during his first professional season. The 22 year old skated in all but three of Rockford's 75 games this year and led all IceHogs rookies in points, assists and shots (133). He also chipped in a game-winning goal and posted a three-game point streak as part of his first campaign following an NCAA National Championship with the University of North Dakota.
Gustafsson earned his accolade as the Hogs' top defenseman after pacing Rockford blueliners in points (30), assists (25) and shots (183) in his 67 appearances this season. The second-year IceHogs defenseman potted five goals during his solid campaign and combined on the power-play to rank second on the team with 14 total PP points (1g, 13a).
Lundberg garnered recognition as this season's Unsung Hero with his consistent efforts throughout the season that produced the top plus/minus rating on the IceHogs. The 26 year old transitioned to the AHL this season following four straight appearances in the Swedish Hockey League finals from 2012-16, and capped his AHL rookie season with 9g-12a-21pts in 67 games for Rockford.
DeSousa was named the IceHogs' Heavy Hitter after leading the team in penalty minutes per game at 2.14. The 5-9, 193-pound forward posted 77 total penalty minutes in 36 games, including two games with double-digit PIMs and a season-high 17 minutes in the box on Dec. 9 at Texas.
A second-year IceHogs forward and the team's most improved player, Baun, followed his 2015-16 campaign of nine points in 43 games with a team-leading 34 points in 73 games during the 2016-17 season. Baun posted his team-high point total on 14 goals, including an IceHogs-best five power-play goals, and 20 assists this year, and concludes his campaign with points in four of his final six games from April 1-15.
Labrie was named the IceHogs' Man of the Year after spearheading his Anti-Bullying campaign for the second straight season. His program began in the second half of the 2015-16 season when Labrie, along with teammates Baun and Mike Liambas, visited local schools and interacted with students to spread the message, "Be a buddy, not a bully." That program has now grown to allow Labrie to start an additional campaign through the "PeaCe" Foundation (playing off of the letters in P.C.'s name as well as the phonetic sound of his nickname in the locker room) to increase awareness for Anti-Bullying.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2017
- Game Recap | Amerks Close out Season with 3-0 Loss to Devils - Rochester Americans
- Game Recap: Penguins 5, Sound Tigers 4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage Double up Stars 6-3 in Regular Season Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Claim North Division Title with 5-2 Win over Comets - Syracuse Crunch
- Agozzino, Wolves Clinch Central Division Title - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins to Set Sail in Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces First-Round Schedules for 2017 - AHL
- Wolves Clinch Central Division Title; Open Calder Cup Playoffs - Chicago Wolves
- NEWS Checkers Announce First-Round Playoff Series - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals to Face Griffins in Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Open Calder Cup Playoffs against Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Season Ends with Loss to Crunch - Utica Comets
- RECAP: Penguins Come Back, Defeat Sound Tigers in Season Finale, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Iowa Cruises Past Rockford in Season Finale 5-2 - Iowa Wild
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Springfield Thunderbirds 5, Hartford Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- B-Sens Drop Finale 4-1 in Front of 4,896 - Binghamton Senators
- IceHogs Announce 2016-17 Team Awards - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Unveil Calder Cup Playoffs First Round Schedule - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- RECAP | RECAP | IceCaps Clinch Playoff Spot in 4-1 Win over Marlies - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Drop Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Announce First Round Schedule - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Start Playoffs with Providence on Friday. - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Fall to Hershey in Regular Season Finale - Providence Bruins
- Devils Blank Amerks to Close out Regular Season - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2016-17 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- Finale Features Fan Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Season Finale Tonight with Craft Beer and Spider-Man at 6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Close 2016-17 Regular Season - Ontario Reign
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Recall Milano, Forsberg From - Cleveland Monsters
- Purcell and Amadio Dazzle, Reign Fall in Shootout to Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Sink Hogs in Final Road Matchup - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Down Reign in 4-3 Shootout Win of Final Regular Season Road - San Diego Gulls
- Reinhart Scores in Condors 2-1 Loss to Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins' 3-2 OT Win Prolongs Division Suspense - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap | Amerks Edge Devils for 5-4 Win in Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Stars Blank Rampage 1-0 - San Antonio Rampage
- Comets Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt with Win - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Playoffs Week 1 Report: Rockford Romps to 2-0 Series Lead
- Hogs Storm Past Wolves to Take 2-0 Series Lead in Calder Cup Playoffs
- Hogs Return Home Seeking 2-0 Series Lead vs. Wolves
- Hogs Edge Wolves to Claim 1-0 Series Lead in Calder Cup Playoffs
- Week 28 Report: Rockford Readies for Playoff Battle with Wolves