Agozzino, Wolves Clinch Central Division Title
ROSEMONT, Ill. - Andrew Agozzino netted his second overtime goal of the season to give the Chicago Wolves a 4-3 victory and the Central Division title in the regular-season finale against the Charlotte Checkers Saturday night at Allstate Arena.
The Wolves (44-19-8-5), who rallied from a 3-1 deficit in the final seven minutes of regulation, earned their fourth division title in eight years. Additionally, they will face the Checkers (39-29-7-1) in the Central Division Semifinals of the 2017 Calder Cup Playoffs that begin on Thursday, April 20. A full series schedule will be announced soon.
The Checkers opened scoring 1:31 into the first frame when Patrick Dwyer corralled a puck in Charlotte's defensive end and skated up the right wing through the neutral zone. At the blue line, he cut to the slot and snapped a chance through a crowd for the 1-0 lead.
Just 2:15 later - following a delay-of-game penalty against the Wolves - defenseman Jake Chelios ripped a shot from the center point to put the Checkers up by a pair of goals.
Past the midway point of the same period, Agozzino led the rush, skating up the left wing. From the same-side hashmarks, he saucered a pass to Wade Megan waiting just inside the right circle for a one-time chance that cut Charlotte's lead in half. Megan's 33rd goal of the season gave him the AHL's goal-scoring title.
After a scoreless second session, the Checkers pushed their lead back to two goals, 3-1, at 7:26 of the third period. Phil Di Giuseppe capitalized on a Wolves defensive zone turnover in the slot.
The Wolves pulled back within a goal at 13:28 when Samuel Blais carried the puck into the right offensive corner. Up on the play, Dunn knocked down a defender, and Blais wired a pass to Chris Butler at the left point. Butler walked the blue line before lasering a chance through a crowd. The puck pinballed to Jordan Caron standing at the right side of the net, and he stuffed it behind Tom McCollum (12-2-4).
Blais then evened the game 3-3 under two minutes later. Defenseman Jake Walman fed Blais a short pass near the right wall in the neutral zone, and Blais streaked through three Charlotte players, going backhand-to-forehand for the equalizing tally.
During the 3-on-3 extra session, Patrick Brown took a interference call at 2:22. Skating 4-on-3, the Wolves cycled the puck and at 3:41, Agozzino snapped in the game-winning goal from the top of the left circle.
Jordan Binnington (16-7-8) made 31 saves to finish the season with 16 victories while McCollum turned aside 23 shots in the loss.
The Wolves will begin 2017 Calder Cup Playoff action against the Charlotte Checkers on Thursday, April 20, at Bojangles' Coliseum. The Wolves' first contest at home will be Game 3 at 2 p.m on Sunday, April 23. Visit ChicagoWolves.com for information regarding the series schedule and tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2017
- Game Recap | Amerks Close out Season with 3-0 Loss to Devils - Rochester Americans
- Game Recap: Penguins 5, Sound Tigers 4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage Double up Stars 6-3 in Regular Season Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Claim North Division Title with 5-2 Win over Comets - Syracuse Crunch
- Agozzino, Wolves Clinch Central Division Title - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins to Set Sail in Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces First-Round Schedules for 2017 - AHL
- Wolves Clinch Central Division Title; Open Calder Cup Playoffs - Chicago Wolves
- NEWS Checkers Announce First-Round Playoff Series - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals to Face Griffins in Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Open Calder Cup Playoffs against Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Season Ends with Loss to Crunch - Utica Comets
- RECAP: Penguins Come Back, Defeat Sound Tigers in Season Finale, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Iowa Cruises Past Rockford in Season Finale 5-2 - Iowa Wild
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Springfield Thunderbirds 5, Hartford Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- B-Sens Drop Finale 4-1 in Front of 4,896 - Binghamton Senators
- IceHogs Announce 2016-17 Team Awards - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Unveil Calder Cup Playoffs First Round Schedule - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- RECAP | RECAP | IceCaps Clinch Playoff Spot in 4-1 Win over Marlies - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Drop Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Announce First Round Schedule - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Start Playoffs with Providence on Friday. - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Fall to Hershey in Regular Season Finale - Providence Bruins
- Devils Blank Amerks to Close out Regular Season - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2016-17 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- Finale Features Fan Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Season Finale Tonight with Craft Beer and Spider-Man at 6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Close 2016-17 Regular Season - Ontario Reign
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Recall Milano, Forsberg From - Cleveland Monsters
- Purcell and Amadio Dazzle, Reign Fall in Shootout to Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Sink Hogs in Final Road Matchup - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Down Reign in 4-3 Shootout Win of Final Regular Season Road - San Diego Gulls
- Reinhart Scores in Condors 2-1 Loss to Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins' 3-2 OT Win Prolongs Division Suspense - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap | Amerks Edge Devils for 5-4 Win in Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Stars Blank Rampage 1-0 - San Antonio Rampage
- Comets Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt with Win - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories
- Chicago Wolves Add First-Rounder Dominik Bokk
- Chicago Wolves Receive 13 from Carolina
- Chicago Wolves Partner with the #SameHere Global Mental Health Movement to Create Project Thrive
- Chicago Wolves Add Nashville Affiliation for 2020-21
- Chicago Wolves, American Hockey League Ready to Play