Gulls Down Reign in 4-3 Shootout Win of Final Regular Season Road
ONTARIO, Calif. - Escondido native Austin Ortega scored the game-winning goal in the third round of the shootout to lead the San Diego Gulls (42-20-3-2, 89 pts.) to a 4-3 win over the Ontario Reign (36-20-10-1; 83 pts.) on Friday night at Citizens Business Bank Arena. San Diego goaltender Dustin Tokarski (17-8-1) made 32 saves and stopped Reign forward Teddy Purcell in the shootout to help the Gulls jump to second place in the Western Conference with one game remaining in the 2016-17 regular season.
The Gulls improved to 14-6-1-0 in the last 21 games and have wins in 24 of their last 33 contests (24-7-1-0) and 31 of the last 42 overall (31-9-1-1). San Diego has also earned standings points in 19 of the last 27 (18-8-1-0), as well as points in 35 of 44 contests since Dec. 26 (31-9-2-2). The club has also earned points in 14 of the past 20 road games (13-6-1-0) and 19 of the last 25 contests (17-6-1-1) away from home.
San Diego opened the scoring at 1:50 of the first period when Mitch Hults scored his first professional goal. Hults took a feed from Spencer Abbott and beat Ontario netminder Jeff Zatkoff (2-4-1) with a shot from between the circles.
Escondido native Austin Ortega pushed San Diego's lead to 2-0 at 2:12 of the second period when he picked up a rebound behind the net, used his speed to cut to the slot and fired a wrist shot over Zatkoff's shoulder for his third goal of the season. Ortega now has 3-14 points in five games since joining San Diego on Mar. 20.
The Reign cut the Gulls' lead to 2-1 at 4:44 of the middle frame as Mike Amadio's initial shot was stopped by Tokarski, but Keaton Thompson's clearing attempt trickled into the San Diego's net.
Ontario rode the momentum from Amadio's goal and peppered Tokarski with several grade-A chances throughout the period, and the Reign finally tied the game at 16:37 as Purcell picked off a Gulls' clearing attempt and slipped a snap shot by Tokarski.
At 2:24 of the third period, Ontario defenseman Cameron Schilling received a five-minute major penalty, in addition to a game misconduct, for spearing Deven Sideroff after the rookie Gulls forward received a two-minute minor for boarding the Reign blueliner. The Gulls generated a couple of good looks with three minutes of power-play time after Sideroff's penalty ended but could not find the go-ahead goal.
The Gulls looked to be in trouble when Stu Bickel took a double-minor for cross-checking and roughing at 12:11 of the third period. That all changed when Zatkoff came out of his net and saw his clearing pass picked off by Zac Larazza who was recalled from Utah (ECHL) earlier in the day. Larazza fed Scott Sabourin who slid the puck into an empty-net to give San Diego a 3-2 lead.
The lead did not last long as Brett Sutter tied the game for Ontario 25 seconds later with his 18th goal of the season. Neither team found the back of the net in the final five minutes and the clubs headed to a five-minute 3-on-3 overtime for the third time this season.
Kevin Roy earned the best chance of the extra session with a breakaway opportunity, but was robbed by Zatkoff as the rivals went to a shootout.
In the shootout San Diego scored on all three of its attempts (Abbott, Roy, Ortega), while Tokarski's stop on Ontario's second shooter (Purcell) sealed the win.
San Diego returns home tomorrow night to close out the regular season against Ontario at Valley View Casino Center (7 p.m.) All fans in attendance will receive a Gulliver bobblehead. A limited number of tickets are available by visiting AXS.com/Gulls or by phone at (619) 359-4730.
NOTES: Gulls forward Spencer Abbott tallied his 12th multi-point game of the season and has 2-68 points over his last five games...Brian Cooper also recorded an assist for San Diego...The Gulls improved to 19-4-3-2 in one-goal games and 13-6-1-1 in the first matchup of back-to-back contests...Ontario goaltender Jeff Zatkoff (2-4-1) stopped 12-of-15 shots in his fourth loss.
Three Stars: 1. Teddy Purcell (ONT) 2. Mike Amadio (ONT) 3. Stu Bickel (SD)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2017
- Game Recap | Amerks Close out Season with 3-0 Loss to Devils - Rochester Americans
- Game Recap: Penguins 5, Sound Tigers 4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage Double up Stars 6-3 in Regular Season Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Claim North Division Title with 5-2 Win over Comets - Syracuse Crunch
- Agozzino, Wolves Clinch Central Division Title - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins to Set Sail in Playoffs against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces First-Round Schedules for 2017 - AHL
- Wolves Clinch Central Division Title; Open Calder Cup Playoffs - Chicago Wolves
- NEWS Checkers Announce First-Round Playoff Series - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals to Face Griffins in Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Open Calder Cup Playoffs against Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Season Ends with Loss to Crunch - Utica Comets
- RECAP: Penguins Come Back, Defeat Sound Tigers in Season Finale, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Iowa Cruises Past Rockford in Season Finale 5-2 - Iowa Wild
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Springfield Thunderbirds 5, Hartford Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- B-Sens Drop Finale 4-1 in Front of 4,896 - Binghamton Senators
- IceHogs Announce 2016-17 Team Awards - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Unveil Calder Cup Playoffs First Round Schedule - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- RECAP | RECAP | IceCaps Clinch Playoff Spot in 4-1 Win over Marlies - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Drop Regular Season Finale - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Announce First Round Schedule - Providence Bruins
- Penguins to Start Playoffs with Providence on Friday. - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Fall to Hershey in Regular Season Finale - Providence Bruins
- Devils Blank Amerks to Close out Regular Season - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2016-17 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- Finale Features Fan Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Season Finale Tonight with Craft Beer and Spider-Man at 6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Close 2016-17 Regular Season - Ontario Reign
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Recall Milano, Forsberg From - Cleveland Monsters
- Purcell and Amadio Dazzle, Reign Fall in Shootout to Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Sink Hogs in Final Road Matchup - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Down Reign in 4-3 Shootout Win of Final Regular Season Road - San Diego Gulls
- Reinhart Scores in Condors 2-1 Loss to Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins' 3-2 OT Win Prolongs Division Suspense - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap | Amerks Edge Devils for 5-4 Win in Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Stars Blank Rampage 1-0 - San Antonio Rampage
- Comets Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt with Win - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.