Ontario Reign to Play 2020-21 AHL Season
ONTARIO, CA - The American Hockey League announced today that the league will operate with 28 teams, including the Ontario Reign, for the 2020-21 season.
The Reign, along with three additional member clubs, have been approved for a provisional relocation for the 2020-21 season. The Reign will play all home games at Toyota Sports Performance Center in El Segundo, CA, where the team has practiced since 2019.
"We are excited to play the 2020-21 season as the Ontario Reign continue to develop LA Kings prospects," Ontario Reign President Darren Abbott said. "The decision to play at Toyota Sports Performance Center will minimize travel risk for our players while we are unable to play with fans in the building, and we look forward to returning to Toyota Arena, in front of our supporters, when it is deemed safe to do so."
The AHL will operate with five divisions for the upcoming season, with the Reign a part of an eight-team Pacific Division. Ontario will be joined by Bakersfield, Colorado, Henderson, San Diego, San Jose, Stockton and Tucson.
"It is important our young players continue to develop and the Ontario Reign play a significant role in that process," LA Kings President Luc Robitaille said. "We are prepared to do what is best to provide that opportunity while also ensuring a safe and healthy environment for our players and staff at the Toyota Sports Performance Center, where we will play our games this season."
More information regarding a 2020-21 regular-season schedule, training camp details, playoff format and AHLTV will be released at a later date.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2021
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins to Return to Play in February - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Among 28 AHL Teams Participating in 2021 Season - Stockton Heat
- Checkers will not participate in 2020-21 AHL Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Chicago Wolves, American Hockey League Ready to Play - Chicago Wolves
- 2020-2021 AHL Season Starts February 5 - Tucson Roadrunners
- San Diego Gulls Statement on Participation in 2020-21 Season - San Diego Gulls
- Canucks & Blues to Share AHL Affiliate Utica Comets - Utica Comets
- Ontario Reign to Play 2020-21 AHL Season - Ontario Reign
- AHL Announces 20-21 Season Details - Ontario Reign
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 AHL Season Including IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - San Jose Barracuda
- Colorado Eagles to Begin 2020-21 AHL Season February 5th - Colorado Eagles
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Among 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Providence Bruins Announce Details for 2020-21 Season - Providence Bruins
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Hershey Bears
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Among American Hockey League's Return to Play Plan for 2020-21 Season - Rochester Americans
- Comets One of 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Utica Comets
- Admirals Opt out of 2020-21 AHL Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - AHL
- Springfield Thunderbirds Announce Voluntary Suspension for 2020-2021 AHL Season - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Chicago Blackhawks Training Camp Roster Packed with IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.