Amerks Among American Hockey League's Return to Play Plan for 2020-21 Season
(Rochester, NY) - The American Hockey League announced today that the upcoming 2020-21 regular season will begin league play on Friday, Feb. 5 with the Rochester Americans included in the league's return to play protocol. The upcoming season will be Rochester's 65th in the AHL and 39th as the top affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres.
The Amerks will remain in the AHL's North Division along with the Binghamton Devils, Syracuse Crunch and Utica Comets, and will also be joined by the Hershey Bears, Lehigh Valley Phantoms and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins for the 2020-21 regular season. Further details, including schedule format and playoffs, are currently being finalized and will be announced at a later date.
In accordance with local and state government and health officials, games held at The Blue Cross Arena will be played without fans present until further notice.
"While we're thrilled and excited to finally have the opportunity to bring hockey back to Rochester, we do share in the disappointment that we'll be forced to start the season without fans in the building due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic," said Amerks Vice President of Business Operations Rob Minter. "The unwavering support from our loyal fans, business and community partners is unrivaled, and now more than ever, we vow to remain as connected as possible to ensure the team feels the impact from our community as we enter our 65th season.
"The health and safety of our guests, along with that of our staff, players, coaches and everyone in the organization, is and will always remain our top priority. We will continue to work with local and state officials and health experts to identify a time that we can safely allow fans to attend games. Until then, however, we must remain vigilant as we continue to navigate through these challenging times."
Current Amerks Season Ticket Members in good standing will be automatically credited for the 2021-22 season with all money paid to date for the 2020-21 season rolled over accordingly. Seating location, as well as discounted pricing, will also be applied to all accounts for the 2021-22 season, along with all Season Ticket Member benefits that Members would normally be entitled to. In the event fans can attend games at any point this season, Members will have priority to access tickets at their exclusive discount, along with the ability of using their account credit to secure tickets. Any unused funds will be automatically applied to the 2021-22 season.
Additionally, as a way of thanking fans for their continued support, the Amerks are offering all Season Ticket Members a complimentary AHLTV Home Package for the 2020-21 season at no additional cost. All accounts must be in good standing for the 2021-22 season in order to receive this special offer.
Rochester's 2020-21 regular-season schedule will be announced at a later date when it becomes available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2021
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins to Return to Play in February - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Among 28 AHL Teams Participating in 2021 Season - Stockton Heat
- Checkers will not participate in 2020-21 AHL Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Chicago Wolves, American Hockey League Ready to Play - Chicago Wolves
- 2020-2021 AHL Season Starts February 5 - Tucson Roadrunners
- San Diego Gulls Statement on Participation in 2020-21 Season - San Diego Gulls
- Canucks & Blues to Share AHL Affiliate Utica Comets - Utica Comets
- Ontario Reign to Play 2020-21 AHL Season - Ontario Reign
- AHL Announces 20-21 Season Details - Ontario Reign
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 AHL Season Including IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - San Jose Barracuda
- Colorado Eagles to Begin 2020-21 AHL Season February 5th - Colorado Eagles
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Among 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Providence Bruins Announce Details for 2020-21 Season - Providence Bruins
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Hershey Bears
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Among American Hockey League's Return to Play Plan for 2020-21 Season - Rochester Americans
- Comets One of 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Utica Comets
- Admirals Opt out of 2020-21 AHL Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - AHL
- Springfield Thunderbirds Announce Voluntary Suspension for 2020-2021 AHL Season - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Chicago Blackhawks Training Camp Roster Packed with IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Amerks Comeback Falls Just Short in Syracuse
- Fogarty Scores Twice in 7-2 Loss to Comets
- Amerks Elect to Continue 2020-21 Season Without Fans
- Amerks Announce Schedule Change
- Amerks, T-Mobile Renew Partnership for 'Fueling the Frontlines 2.0' Community Outreach Initiative