Checkers will not participate in 2020-21 AHL Season
The Charlotte Checkers today announced that they will not participate in the 2020-21 American Hockey League season that is set to begin on Feb. 5.
The decision, which was made in conjunction with their NHL affiliate, the Florida Panthers, is based on numerous safety and logistical concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic and will allow the organization to turn its full focus towards the 2021-22 season.
"While we are disappointed that we cannot resume playing at this time, both the Panthers and Checkers feel it is in the best interests of all parties to opt out for this season," said Checkers Owner and CEO Michael Kahn. "There are several travel, safety and player supply challenges to consider. Those, coupled with the increasing number of new cases in our area, make it very unlikely that we will be able to host fans at our games in the near future. We are appreciative of our partnership with the Florida Panthers regarding the navigation of this very difficult matter and will immediately focus our efforts on beginning the 2021-22 season in the fall."
"Working closely with the Charlotte Checkers organization, we have come to the decision together to opt out of playing in Charlotte in 2020-21," said Florida Panthers General Manager Bill Zito. "Despite the travel and business challenges involved with this year, we feel that this decision will not impact our player development system as we continue to provide necessary environments for growth. We look forward to the continuation of our partnership with the Checkers organization and the puck drop of 2021-22 in Charlotte."
The Checkers will directly reach out to season ticket holders via phone within the next 48 hours to discuss options moving forward.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2021
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins to Return to Play in February - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Among 28 AHL Teams Participating in 2021 Season - Stockton Heat
- Checkers will not participate in 2020-21 AHL Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Chicago Wolves, American Hockey League Ready to Play - Chicago Wolves
- 2020-2021 AHL Season Starts February 5 - Tucson Roadrunners
- San Diego Gulls Statement on Participation in 2020-21 Season - San Diego Gulls
- Canucks & Blues to Share AHL Affiliate Utica Comets - Utica Comets
- Ontario Reign to Play 2020-21 AHL Season - Ontario Reign
- AHL Announces 20-21 Season Details - Ontario Reign
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 AHL Season Including IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - San Jose Barracuda
- Colorado Eagles to Begin 2020-21 AHL Season February 5th - Colorado Eagles
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Among 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Providence Bruins Announce Details for 2020-21 Season - Providence Bruins
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Hershey Bears
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Among American Hockey League's Return to Play Plan for 2020-21 Season - Rochester Americans
- Comets One of 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - Utica Comets
- Admirals Opt out of 2020-21 AHL Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season - AHL
- Springfield Thunderbirds Announce Voluntary Suspension for 2020-2021 AHL Season - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Chicago Blackhawks Training Camp Roster Packed with IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Tracking Panthers Prospects and Former Checkers as Hockey Season Begins
- Checkers will not participate in 2020-21 AHL Season
- Checkers to Continue Affiliation with Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Charlotte Checkers Announce Affiliation with NHL's Florida Panthers
- 'Canes Agree to Terms with David and Jason Cotton