Oilers Maul Grizzlies for Weekend Sweep
TULSA, OK - Playing two-men short the entire night, the Tulsa Oilers (40-22-6) finished off a weekend sweep of the Utah Grizzlies (35-25-9) with a dominating 6-0 victory Sunday at the BOK Center. With the win, the Oilers clinched home-ice advantage in the first round of the Kelly Cup Playoffs, and moved into first place in the Mountain Division entering the final week of the regular season.
An early power play goal from Chris Forney put Tulsa in front when Forney stepped up into the left circle and fired a rebound past Joe Cannata 2:46 into the game. Mike McKee then gave the Oilers a 2-0 cushion just over a minute later on a delayed Grizzlies penalty. The Oilers outshot Utah 13-8 in the opening frame.
Tulsa added to their lead when Roman Ammirato snapped a one-timer past Cannata from low in the right circle on another Oilers power play early in the second period. A physical period featured 31 combined penalty minutes and the Oilers kept the Grizzlies off the scoreboard entering the third.
Captain Adam Pleskach stepped out of the penalty box and scored on a breakaway one minute into the third period and the rout was on from there. Adam Phillips feathered a shot with eyes through traffic from the right point to make it 5-0, and McKee scored 13 seconds later for his first career two-goal game. Ian Keserich stopped all 22 shots he faced for his ninth win and second shutout of the season.
The Oilers travel to Kansas City Tuesday night before returning home for games Friday and Saturday against Kalamazoo and Sunday against Wichita. Catch Tuesday's game on the Sports Animal radio network, www.tulsaoilers.com and ECHL.TV, with pregame coverage starting at 6:45pm.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram , or "Like" us on Facebook for more information about the Tulsa Oilers. Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 31, 2019
- Tulsa Shuts out Utah 6-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Cyclones Drop Tough Overtime Contest in Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Maul Grizzlies for Weekend Sweep - Tulsa Oilers
- IceMen Clinch Berth in 2019 ECHL Kelly Cup Playoffs - Jacksonville IceMen
- Fitze, Somppi Lead Solar Bears to 5-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Orlando Endures in Greenville's Home Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Defeat Glads to Pull Even in Playoff Race - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers Blank Wings to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Allows Five Goals in Third Period in 7-4 Loss to the Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Fuel Stumble in Homestand Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Clinch Postseason Berth with Seven-Goal Outburst in Maine - Adirondack Thunder
- Atlanta Falls in South Carolina 4-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cammarata Hat Trick Not Enough as Mariners Fall to Thunder - Maine Mariners
- K-Wings Blanked on Sunday in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs Wrap up Road Trip in Winning Fashion, Take Down Indy 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Mariners Add Chase, Wesley from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Nailers vs. Wings Game Day Snap Shot, March 31 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Day: Three-In-Three and Central Division Play Wraps up in Wheeling on Sunday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Rock Thunder - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.