Fitze, Somppi Lead Solar Bears to 5-2 Win
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Dylan Fitze recorded a Gordie Howe Hat Trick and Otto Somppi tallied two goals as the Orlando Solar Bears (38-25-4-1) used a three-goal second period to come away with a 5-2 win over the Greenville Swamp Rabbits (23-40-3-3) on Sunday afternoon at Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
Click here for the box score.
The Solar Bears took an early 1-0 lead in the first period when Mitch Hults sent a pass from the right wall to Mathieu Foget at the left side of the net, who then hammered the puck past Garrett Bartus at 1:17 for his 20th of the season. Fitze received credit for the secondary assist on Foget's goal.
Danny Elser tied it at 1-1 when he knocked in a rebound that had struck the pads of Connor Ingram at 14:42.
Alex Schoenborn gave Orlando a 2-1 lead with a shorthanded goal at 4:20 of the second period when he teamed up with Troy Bourke on a 2-on-1 and buried his 10th of the season with a shot from the left circle.
The Swamp Rabbits evened the score at 2-2 moments after the penalty to Rob Mann expired, as Stephen Pierog tied up Tayler Thompson at the faceoff circle and Daniel Perez snapped a shot past Ingram at 5:40.
Somppi gave Orlando the lead again at 15:44 when he banked the puck in off the crossbar and behind Bartus for his 11th of the season.
Fitze extended the lead to two goals at 19:40 as he snapped a shot from the left circle past Bartus for his 12th of the season to make it 4-2 in favor of the Solar Bears.
The Swamp Rabbits pulled Bartus for an extra skater while on the power play late in the third period, but Somppi sealed the win for Orlando with his second of the day at 18:11.
Fitze then earned the Gordie Howe Hat Trick when he squared off with Brody Silk at center ice, while Mike Monfredo paired up with Luke Ripley at 19:38.
Ingram picked up the win with 31 saves on 33 shots against; Bartus took the loss with 32 stops on 36 shots against.
1) Otto Somppi - ORL
2) Dylan Fitze - ORL
3) Stephen Pierog - GRN
The Solar Bears took the regular season series with the Swamp Rabbits with the win, giving Orlando a 5-3-1-0 record in nine games against Greenville.
Orlando's magic number to clinch second place in the South Division - and ensure home ice advantage for the South Division Semifinals - has been reduced to two points with today's win.
Schoenborn's goal gives the forward a two-game point streak (2g-1a) and 50 career points (20g-30a) in his pro career.
Bourke's assist on Schoenborn's goal extends his assist streak to three games (3a).
Chris LeBlanc's assist on Somppi's first goal gives the forward a three-game point streak (2g-1a).
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears return home to the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center to host the Jacksonville Icemen on Tuesday, April 2 at 7 p.m. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets for this game.
2019-20 Season Ticket Memberships on Sale Now:
Upgrade to Solar Status and become a Season Ticket Member today. Season ticket memberships for the 2019-20 season are now on sale and start as little as $270.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 31, 2019
- Tulsa Shuts out Utah 6-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Cyclones Drop Tough Overtime Contest in Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Maul Grizzlies for Weekend Sweep - Tulsa Oilers
- IceMen Clinch Berth in 2019 ECHL Kelly Cup Playoffs - Jacksonville IceMen
- Fitze, Somppi Lead Solar Bears to 5-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Orlando Endures in Greenville's Home Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Defeat Glads to Pull Even in Playoff Race - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers Blank Wings to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Allows Five Goals in Third Period in 7-4 Loss to the Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Fuel Stumble in Homestand Finale - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Clinch Postseason Berth with Seven-Goal Outburst in Maine - Adirondack Thunder
- Atlanta Falls in South Carolina 4-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cammarata Hat Trick Not Enough as Mariners Fall to Thunder - Maine Mariners
- K-Wings Blanked on Sunday in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs Wrap up Road Trip in Winning Fashion, Take Down Indy 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Mariners Add Chase, Wesley from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Nailers vs. Wings Game Day Snap Shot, March 31 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Day: Three-In-Three and Central Division Play Wraps up in Wheeling on Sunday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Rock Thunder - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Leading Scorer Trevor Olson Returns to Solar Bears
- Solar Bears Extend Qualifying Offers for 2020-21 Season
- Solar Bears Add Rookie Defenseman Paul Meyer
- Solar Bears Acquire Tommy Panico from Growlers
- LeBlanc, Kuqali and Lohan Are First Solar Bears Signings for 2020-21 Season