Oil Kings Select Georgaklis, Novak in 2020 WHL US Prospects Draft
(Edmonton, AB) - The Edmonton Oil Kings announced their two newest prospects after a pair of selections during the 2020 WHL US Prospects Draft on Wednesday.
The Oil Kings first selection with the 3rd overall pick was Alexios Georgaklis of the San Diego Saints 14UAA.
The 6-foot-1, 175-pound centre from San Diego, California registered 44 goals and 41 assists for 85 points in 65 regular season games played with the Saints during the 2019-20 season.
He competed at the 2020 WHL US Challenge Cup in Kent, Washington in February, leading the Saints in tournament scoring with three goals and seven assists for 10 points in just four games played. He finished sixth overall in tournament scoring, while ranking fourth in assists among all skaters.
"Alexios is a power forward, has real good size, and is a strong, powerful skater," said Oil Kings Director of Scouting, Jamie Porter. "We really like the two-way game he plays, and think he has the right style and build for the Western Hockey League."
With their final pick of the Draft, the Oil Kings selected defenceman John Novak of the Lakeville South Cougars 14UAA in the 2nd round, 42nd overall.
The 5-foot-9, 174-pound Apple Valley, Minnesota native registered six goals and 15 assists for 21 points along with 46 penalty minutes and a plus/minus rating of +11 in 49 regular season games in 2019-20.
"John is a power play quarterback who exhibits great hockey sense," said Porter. "He skates well, has impressive puck skills, and we like his level of physical play for his size.
"We're looking forward to having Alexios and John on the ice with our group."
"Today was a great opportunity for our League to look forward to its promising future in spite of all the uncertainty and challenges currently surrounding COVID-19," said Oil Kings President of Hockey Operations and General Manager, Kirt Hill.
"We feel very fortunate to be adding Alexios and John as prospects and we welcome them and their families to the Oil Kings organization."
Players eligible for the 2020 WHL US Prospects Draft were 2005-born players who reside in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
Players not selected in the 2020 WHL US Prospects Draft remain eligible to be selected in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft, or listed by a WHL team at any time thereafter.
Hill, Porter and the entirety of the Oil Kings scouting staff will continue building the future of the Club during the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft which takes place Wednesday, April 22, 2020.
Round 1; 3 - Alexios Georgaklis (C) - San Diego Saints 14UAA (1/9/2005)
Round 2; 42 - John Novak (D) - Lakeville South Cougars 14UAA (4/7/2005)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 25, 2020
- Americans Select Rios, Picard in 2020 WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Select Pair of Minnesota Players in Inaugural U.S. Prospects Draft - Red Deer Rebels
- ICE Select Jayson Shaugabay and Beckett Hendrickson in WHL US Prospect Draft. - Winnipeg Ice
- Winterhawks Select Two in U.S. Prospects Draft - Portland Winterhawks
- Hitmen Make Two Picks in 2020 WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Cougars Select a Pair of Players in Inaugural U.S. Prospects Draft - Prince George Cougars
- Chiefs Pick McIntosh-Asgard and Hupka in WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Spokane Chiefs
- Wheat Kings Select Two Forwards in WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Select Buium, Fields in Inaugural U.S. Prospects Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- Royals Select Alexander Young & Jackson Foddrill in WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Victoria Royals
- T-Birds Select Landon Dauner and Drew Mackie in WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Western Hockey League Completes 2020 WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - WHL
- Rockets make a pair of selections at 2020 WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Oil Kings Select Georgaklis, Novak in 2020 WHL US Prospects Draft - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Warriors Select Two Forwards in Inaugural WHL US Prospects Draft - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Tigers Select Two Players in Inaugural WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Broncos Add Two Prospects in U.S. Prospects Draft - Swift Current Broncos
- Kamloops Blazers Select Two Players in WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Kamloops Blazers
- Hurricanes Select Tobey, Bassen in WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Raiders Select Sluys, Stewart in U.S. Prospects Draft - Prince Albert Raiders
- Giants Select Forward Duncan Shin in Round 2 of the 2020 WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Vancouver Giants
- Pats Take Michels and Young in the 2020 WHL US Prospects Draft - Regina Pats
- Giants Select D-Man Philippe Blais-Savoie in Round 1 of the 2020 WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Vancouver Giants
- Rebels Take Sawchyn First Overall In U.S. Prospects Draft - Red Deer Rebels
- Americans to Select Fourth Overall in 2020 WHL Bantam Draft - Tri-City Americans
- Cougars Win WHL Bantam Draft Lottery - Prince George Cougars
- Regina Pats Hold First-Overall Selection Following WHL Bantam Draft Lottery - WHL
- Blades to Select 5th Overall in 2020 WHL Bantam Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- Pats to Pick First Overall in 2020 WHL Bantam Draft - Regina Pats
- Wheat Kings Will Select #17 & #28 in 2020 WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Brandon Wheat Kings
- On this Day: March 25, 2005 - Portland Winterhawks
- BC Hockey Announces Exceptional Player Status for Connor Bedard - WHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Neighbours Drafted 26th Overall by St. Louis Blues
- St. Louis Blues Select Jake Neighbours 26th Overall in the 2020 NHL Draft
- Edmonton to Host Back-To-Back World Juniors
- Oil Kings Acquire Draft Picks from Everett
- Svanenbergs Signs Standard Players Agreement with Oil Kings