Oil Kings' Guenther Named WHL Eastern Conference Rookie of the Year
Calgary, Alta. -Â The Western Hockey League announced today Dylan Guenther, forward of the Edmonton Oil Kings,Â hasÂ been named the WHL EasternÂ Conference Rookie of the Year and nominee for the Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy (WHL Rookie of the Year) presented by Wawanesa Insurance.
The first-overall selection at the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft, Guenther excelled for his hometown Oil Kings throughout the 2019-20 WHL Regular Season. With the Oil Kings repeating as Central Division champions, Guenther recorded 59 points (26G-33A) in 58 games, including eight power-play goals and three game-winning goals. On the Oil Kings, Guenther led the team in goals, ranked fourth in assists, and was third overall in scoring.
Among WHL rookies, Guenther ranked third in goals, tied for second in assists, and was second in overall scoring. Guenther was one of four WHL rookies to produce at better than a point-per-game pace throughout the regular season.
As part of 14 multi-point efforts throughout the regular season, Guenther recorded three multi-goal games. On February 25, 2020, Guenther recorded the first hat trick of his WHL career at home against the Winnipeg ICE.
From January 17 to February 7, 2020, Guenther enjoyed an eight-game point streak where he recorded 11 points (4G-7A). Guenther was named the WHL Rookie of the Month for February 2020.
In his WHL career, the 6-foot-1, 170-pound 17-year-old Guenther has appeared in 66 WHL regular season games, recording 63 points (29G-34A). During the 2019 WHL Playoffs, Guenther appeared in three games with the Oil Kings.
WHL Eastern and Western Conference Rookies of the Year are voted upon annually by WHL General Managers and Head Coaches. The winner of the Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy for WHL Rookie of the Year will be announced on Friday, May 15.
The Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy is presented annually to the player whose performance in their first season is deemed to be the most outstanding among all rookies.
A former owner of the Saskatoon Blades, Jim Piggott played a direct role in the formation of the Western Canadian Hockey League, now known as the WHL. Along with Del Wilson, Piggott played a critical role in the unification of all three Major Junior leagues across Canada into what is now known as the Canadian Hockey League.
Winners of the Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy / WHL Rookie of the Year Award (since 2000):
2018-19: Brayden Tracey, Moose Jaw Warriors
2017-18: Dylan Cozens, Lethbridge Hurricanes
2016-17: Aleksi Heponiemi, Swift Current Broncos
2015-16: Matthew Phillips, Victoria Royals
2014-15: Nolan Patrick, Brandon Wheat Kings
2013-14: Nick Merkley, Kelowna Rockets
2012-13: Seth Jones, Portland Winterhawks
2011-12: Sam Reinhart, Kootenay ICE
2010-11: Mathew Dumba, Red Deer Rebels
2009-10: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Red Deer Rebels
2008-09: Brett Connolly, Prince George Cougars
2007-08: Brayden Schenn, Brandon Wheat Kings
2006-07: Kyle Beach, Everett Silvertips
2005-06: Peter Mueller, Everett Silvertips
2004-05: Tyler Plante, Brandon Wheat Kings
2003-04: Gilbert Brule, Vancouver Giants
2002-03: Matt Ellison, Red Deer Rebels
2001-02: Braydon Coburn, Portland Winterhawks
2000-01: Scottie Upshall, Kamloops Blazers
1999-00: Dan Blackburn, Kootenay ICE
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 20, 2020
- Vancouver Giants Announce 2019-20 Award Winners - Vancouver Giants
- How We Were Built - 2018 Edition - Winnipeg Ice
- Dustin Wolf Named Back-To-Back WHL Western Conference Goaltender of the Year - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen to Select 12th Overall in Wednesday's 2020 WHL Bantam Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- 2020 WHL Bantam Draft Preview - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rockets trade for David Kope - Kelowna Rockets
- Oil Kings Trade David Kope to Kelowna Rockets - Edmonton Oil Kings
- 2020 WHL Bantam Draft on Wednesday, April 22 - Kamloops Blazers
- This Week in History, April 19-25, 2001 - Rebels Memorial Cup Run - Red Deer Rebels
- Giants Acquire 2001-Born Forward Adam Hall from Lethbridge - Vancouver Giants
- Hurricanes Trade Adam Hall to Vancouver - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Oil Kings' Guenther Named WHL Eastern Conference Rookie of the Year - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Broncos Sign Owen Pickering to Standard Player Agreement - Swift Current Broncos
- Oil Kings Acquire Kaid Oliver from Victoria Royals - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Royals Swing Deal for Local Defenceman - Victoria Royals
- Ty Smith Named WHL Western Conference Defenseman of the Year - Spokane Chiefs
- Western Hockey League Announces Defenceman of the Year Nominees for Bill Hunter Memorial Trophy Presented by RE/MAX of Western Canada - WHL
- A Night out in the Broncos Suite for Front-Line Health Care Workers - Jersey Auction - Swift Current Broncos
- 2019 Bantam Draft Review - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Announce Draft Selections for Wednesday's WHL Bantam Draft - Regina Pats
- Addison Named Eastern Conference Defenseman of the Year - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- ICE Launch More Than a Ticket Campaign in Support of Local COVID-19 Relief Efforts and Winnipeg Youth - Winnipeg Ice
- Ã¢ÂÂWe'Ve Done Our HomeworkÃ¢ÂÂ: Warriors Ready for Bantam Draft - Moose Jaw Warriors
- 2020 WHL Bantam Draft Wednesday - Medicine Hat Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Oil Kings Video Coach Michael Chan Hired by Toronto Marlies
- Edmonton Oil Kings Sign Ethan Peters
- Canadian Hockey League Launches Memorial ECup Tournament
- Neighbours Drafted 26th Overall by St. Louis Blues
- St. Louis Blues Select Jake Neighbours 26th Overall in the 2020 NHL Draft