Offense Powers Jacks to 7-4 Win Over Bucks
ODESSA, TX - Darryl Bootland scored a pair of goals for the Odessa Jackalopes to highlight their 7-4 win over the Laredo Bucks on Friday night at the Ector County Coliseum. Kenny Corupe, Jeff Pierce, and Todd Robinson all put together three-point games for the Jackalopes in the win as well.
Mike Ramsay's marker in the final minute of the second period proved to be the game-winner as the Jackalopes improved to 11-13-1 on the year. The game also propelled the Jackalopes past Laredo (9-11-4) out of the bottom of the Berry Conference.
Odessa struck first in the game with a goal from Alex Dunn, 6:41 into the contest, from the right circle. In four of the five meetings this season between Odessa and Laredo, the team to score first has gone on to win the game.
Corupe then added his lone goal of the contest, on the power play, midway through the frame on a rebound to the right of the goal crease. The goal makes it four straight games that Corupe has scored for the Jackalopes. Reid Edmondson put Laredo on the board with seven minutes left for a 2-1 score.
Five combined goals were scored in period two as the Jackalopes opened up a 4-1 lead with Bootland's first of the night just 1:03 in, and then Pierce struck on the man-advantage at 12:38. Laredo's Daniel Koger kept the Bucks in it by scoring two power play goals in under a three-minute span.
Ramsay's goal in the final minute of the second period was the end result of a 3-on-1 rush with Pierce and Dominic Leveille. Odessa held a 5-3 lead through forty minutes of play.
Bootland scored again 4:30 into the third period to make it a 6-3 game. Justin Sawyer scored his first goal in an Odessa uniform and Laredo's Neil Trimm added the game's final score for the 7-4 final.
Joel Martin picked up the win for Odessa to now sit at 6-2-0 in his last nine appearances.
The Jackalopes continue their three-game weekend Saturday in North Richland Hills, TX against the Texas Brahmas. Game time is set for 7:30 PM. The action can be heard live on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 17, 2010
- Ice Cools Fire as Americans Beat Brahmas in First Game of Vintage Series - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Nolan, Mavs Beat Eagles 3-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavs Shut Down Eagles in 3-1 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Allen's Dwight Mullins Earns All-Star Coaching Position - CHL
- Offense Powers Jacks to 7-4 Win Over Bucks - Odessa Jackalopes
- Americans Ice Brahmas 5-3 - Allen Americans
- Bees Sting 'Bugs Again on Exterminator Night - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Lutes' three goals lift Gems to 4-0 win over Bloomington - Dayton Gems
- Gardner Era Begins with Win Over Evansville - Mississippi RiverKings
- Dayton Gems Shutout PrairieThunder 4-0 on Friday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks Fall to 'Jacks 7-4 - Laredo Bucks
- Oilers Sneak Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Power Past Fort Wayne 5-1 - Quad City Mallards
- Killer Bees Finish Sweep of Mudbugs with 4-2 Victory - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Rush Add Championship Experience, Sign Goaltender Tim Boron - Rapid City Rush
- Allen Regains Top Spot on Yellowbook CHL Coaches Poll - CHL
- RiverKings Game Day - RiverKings Vs. Evansville - Mississippi RiverKings
- Thunder Spreading Holiday Cheer - Wichita Thunder
- High Noon For High Schools GTR Cup Starts Sunday - Tulsa Oilers
- Bucks Look to Snap Skid Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Shots from the Point for December 17, 2010 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.