Odessa Offense Explodes in 8-0 Shutout Win
RAPID CITY, SD - Sebastien Thinel, Kenny Corupe, and Kenny Bernard each scored a pair of goals while Michel Robinson stopped 30 shots in the Odessa Jackalopes' 8-0 shutout of the Rapid City Rush on Friday night at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center.
Thinel's two goals came at even-strength, Bernard's both came on the power play, Corupe scored one with the man-advantage and the other shorthanded. Thinel (two goals, two assists) and Todd Robinson (four assists) also led all skaters with four points on the night.
The Jackalopes (6-10-1) opened the game with a first period blitz of two goals in a 30-second span. Thinel potted his first of the game on a rebound at the right side of the net nine minutes into the contest. Corupe then scored on a wrist shot from the left circle during a counter-attack rush. Thinel made it a 3-0 lead for Odessa with less than seven minutes remaining in the period on another rebound to the right side of the goal.
The second period is when Odessa's power-play started clicking as Bernard and Mike Lesperance each scored man-advantage goals. Bernard's came on a rebound after Todd Robinson's one-time shot from the left circle just 1:45 into the frame. Thinel fed a cross-ice pass from the right-wing corner to Lesperance, who buried a wrist shot in the left circle at 5:38. The Jackalopes held a 5-0 advantage after forty minutes of play.
Odessa added two more power play goals in the first half of period three. Bernard again, and Dominic Leveille at 11:40. Frustration boiled over for the Rapid City Rush (8-6-2) with just over six minutes remaining in the game as Colt King and Scott Wray each picked up misconduct penalties after a scrum ensued during a stoppage in play. Kevin Harvey also was vacated from the game after instigating a fight with Odessa's Garrett Gruenke.
Corupe and Bernard teamed up on a two-on-one rush in the game's final minute to score a shorthanded goal to finalize the 8-0 shutout.
The win was Michel Robinson's first in net for the Jackalopes, since joining the team in late October. Danny Bottochio started the game for Rapid City, but was pulled after Odessa's third goal. Rookie Jimmy Spratt took over the goaltending duties for Rapid City, stopping 19 of 24 shots.
Thinel's four-point night also extends his point-streak to a team-high seven games. The Jackalopes have now scored six or more goals in four of their last five contests (4-1-0).
The two teams meet again on Saturday at the Civic Center. Game time has been pushed back to 9:05 PM CST due to a local event in the Rapid City Area. The game can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team will begin its 14th season in the Permian Basin in October 2010. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 26, 2010
- Odessa Offense Explodes in 8-0 Shutout Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Rush Steamrolled by Jackalopes 8-0 - Rapid City Rush
- Ulanski's HT Helps Power Eagles Past Thunder - Colorado Eagles
- Special Teams Play Snaps Sundogs' Home Losing Streak in 5-1 Win - Arizona Sundogs
- Americans Fall 5-1 to Sundogs in Arizona - Allen Americans
- Eagles Power Play Sinks Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Wintoneak's Hat Trick Powers Mavs Past Bees, 5-4 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Last Second Goal Puts Texas Over Laredo In OT - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Win Streak Continues as Bugs Roll Over Tulsa - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Robbed in OT Loss - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Rally to Beat Killer Bees 5-4 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- PrairieThunder Win Second in a Row 4-3 Over Quad City on Friday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bloomington Edges Mallards 4-3 - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Sign Vandermeer, Trade Lardner - Kansas City Mavericks
- Kip Kip, Hooray - Americans Sign Brennan - Allen Americans
- Special Ticket Offer for Sunday's Game Vs. Mississippi - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Battle Brahmas Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Shots from the Point - CHL
- Rush Set to Battle the Odessa Jackalopes Tonight at the Civic Center - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.