North Carolina FC Held to Scoreless Draw against Birmingham Legion FC
CARY, N.C. - North Carolina FC had the chances, but some unlucky finishing, paired with a Birmingham Legion FC side content to settle for a point, led to a scoreless draw on Saturday night at Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park.
NCFC tallied 11 corner kicks and outshot Birmingham 17-10, but couldn't find the back of the net. NCFC remains in seventh place in the Eastern Conference standings with a record of 4W-2L-4D.
"It was a frustrating night," said NCFC Head Coach Dave Sarachan. "I thought we should've walked away with three points tonight. I didn't think in the first half our soccer was as good as we could be. I thought we played a little slowly. I think we could've upped the tempo. Having said that, I thought we created a few chances that we didn't convert. We didn't really concede a whole lot. In the second half, it was similar. I thought our tempo was better. Our passing was a little better. It was one of those nights. We hit a couple posts, there were skirmishes where I think we should get on the end of it and we walk away with one point instead of three."
Even from the early stages of the match, NCFC seemed set to take the lead. In the 24th minute, a low cross from Ben Speas opened a big hole in the Birmingham defense, but Marios Lomis' shot hit the post and bounced away from danger.
In the 31st minute, the visitor's goal was exposed once again. A ball played to Steven Miller seemed destined for the back of the net, but goalkeeper Trevor Spangenberg came across his line and dived to block the shot away at the last second.
The action in front of the Birmingham goal continued in the second half, but once again the final ball wasn't there.
A dangerous buildup in the 67th minute led to several chances in front of the goal, but missed shots, paired with several defensive blocks once again kept the game scoreless.
Dre Fortune produced NCFC's closest chance of the second half in the 81st minute of play. The midfielder created space and unleashed a curling ball headed for the far post, but his shot rebounded back off the crossbar.
In stoppage time, Birmingham's Zachary Herivaux earned his second yellow card in a four-minute span to put Birmingham down to 10 men. The final minutes ticked on, and Alex Tambakis made a save late as the game ended in a scoreless draw.
North Carolina FC hits the road for an away match at New York Red Bulls II on Friday, May 24 at 7 p.m. The team returns home for a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup match on Wednesday, May 29 at 7 p.m. against the Florida Soccer Soldiers. The match will be played on Field 2 at WakeMed Soccer Park. Tickets are available online or can be purchased over the phone at 919-459-8144.
The club's youth-to-professional pipeline was well represented with NCFC Academy products Dre Fortune, Manny Perez and DJ Taylor starting for NCFC alongside NCFC U23 product Alex Comsia. Fellow Academy and U23 product Caleb Duvernay appeared on the NCFC bench, but did not enter the match.
The team earned its fourth shutout of the season behind a three-save performance from Alex Tambakis.
NCFC (4-2-3-1): Alex Tambakis; Aaron Guillen, Sam Brotherton, Alex Comsia, DJ Taylor; Dre Fortune, Victor Igbekoyi; Steven Miller © (Yamikani Chester, 71'), Ben Speas, Manny Perez (Donovan Ewolo, 80'); Marios Lomis (Robert Kristo, 85')
Subs not used: Darrin MacLeod, Caleb Duvernay, Graham Smith, Tommy McCabe
BHM (4-3-3): Trevor Spangenberg; Kyle Culbertson, Mathieu Laurent, Femi Hollinger-Janzen, Eric Avila; Daniel Johnson (Tyler Turner, 83'), Mikey Lopez ©, Zachary Herivaux; Prosper Kasim (Razak Cromwell, 46'), Brian Wright, Eddie Opoku (JJ Williams, 57')
Subs not used: Matt VanOekel, Joe Holland, Chandler Hoffman, Daigo Kobayashi,
NCFC: Sam Brotherton 89'
BHM: Femi Hollinger-Janzen 45+', Zachary Herivaux 88', 90+'
BHM: Zachary Herivaux 90+'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 18, 2019
- Phoenix Rising Routs Las Vegas 4-0 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Tacoma Defiance Earns a Point in 1-1 Draw with Reno 1868 FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno 1868 FC Earns a Point on the Road against Tacoma Defiance - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Draws 1-1 against OKC Energy FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Steams over Sacramento Republic 3-1 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Republic FC fall in their first visit to Southwest University Park - Sacramento Republic FC
- Saturday Night's Memphis 901 FC Match Postponed - Memphis 901 FC
- Switchbacks FC Fall to New Mexico United in First Meeting - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Late Equalizer Stuns Toros at Home - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Tulsa Roughnecks Tie San Antonio FC 1-1 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- San Antonio FC Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to Five with 1-1 Draw vs. Tulsa - San Antonio FC
- Rowdies Dominate New York to Claim First Place - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Independence Soldier on in Nashville - Charlotte Independence
- Late Goal Gives Indy Eleven 1-0 Victory over Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
- Nashville SC Held to 1-1 Draw vs. Charlotte Independence: Nissan Recap - Nashville SC
- Budweiser Man of the Match: Lebo Moloto Finds His First Goal of 2019 in 1-1 Draw with Charlotte - Nashville SC
- Pasher Sinks Battery Late in 1-0 Defeat to Indy Eleven - Charleston Battery
- LouCity Draws vs. St. Louis - Louisville City FC
- Legion FC at North Carolina FC Ends in a Draw - Birmingham Legion FC
- North Carolina FC Held to Scoreless Draw against Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- STLFC Earns 0-0 Draw Away to Louisville City FC - Saint Louis FC
- Houston Dynamo Loan Three Defenders to RGV FC for Tonight's Match at H-E-B Park - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Washington Gives Keynote Address at Special Olympics Opening Ceremony - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Hosts IMPACT Event at East Park with Soccer for the Nations - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- NCFC Extends Unbeaten Run in League Play with Road Draw at Saint Louis FC
- North Carolina Football Club and Town of Cary to Host Independence Day Celebrations, Presented by Segra
- Perez Set to Join Celtic for Preseason Training Camp
- North Carolina FC Travels to Face Saint Louis FC
- Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park to Host 2019 NWSL Championship