Washington Gives Keynote Address at Special Olympics Opening Ceremony
NASHVILLE - For three nights in April at Flagpole Park in Brentwood, Nashville SC defender Taylor Washington trained, taught, laughed, hugged and connected with athletes from Special Olympics Tennessee. On Friday night at Lipscomb University's Allen Arena, Taylor Washington addressed athletes, families, friends, coaches and volunteers as the Keynote speaker for Special Olympics Tennessee's Opening Ceremonies for the 2019 State Summer Games.
Washington was invited as the Keynote speaker because of the connection he has made with the athletes, and his role in connecting with the Nashville community. He joins a distinguished list of former Special Olympics Keynote speakers that includes Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Vrabel, who spoke last year at the event.
The Opening Ceremonies kick off a weekend long Games held on the campus of Lipscomb that includes 1,200 athletes, 500 coaches and 1,000 volunteers. Friday night started with the "Parade of Athletes," similar to parade of flags that opens the Olympics every two years, with the athletes marching into Allen Arena.
The theme for the 2019 State Summer Games is "Choose to Include," and Washington spoke to the crowd about his personal struggles, and how he has learned to live with and overcome them to become a professional soccer player.
In his speech, Washington reminisced to the moment when he was on his way to his first practice with Special Olympics Tennessee, when he kept thinking about how he was going to inspire the athletes he was working with. Ultimately, he said, it was the athletes who inspired him to train harder and to make a more positive impact on the Nashville community.
He ended his speech by citing the Special Olympics motto, and delivering a one final message of his own.
"Let me win, but if I can't win, let me be brave in the attempt," Washington said. "At the end of the day, the journey to success is greater than any trophy, medal or stage you can stand on. The journey to success is a daily blessing of waking up and being the best that you can possibly be."
After the event, Washington signed autographs and took pictures with the athletes as they prepare for the State Summer Games this weekend.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 18, 2019
- Frater Nets A Hat Trick Against His Former Club As United Earns 3 Points - New Mexico United
- Phoenix Rising Routs Las Vegas 4-0 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Tacoma Defiance Earns a Point in 1-1 Draw with Reno 1868 FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno 1868 FC Earns a Point on the Road against Tacoma Defiance - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Draws 1-1 against OKC Energy FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Steams over Sacramento Republic 3-1 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Republic FC fall in their first visit to Southwest University Park - Sacramento Republic FC
- Saturday Night's Memphis 901 FC Match Postponed - Memphis 901 FC
- Switchbacks FC Fall to New Mexico United in First Meeting - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Late Equalizer Stuns Toros at Home - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Tulsa Roughnecks Tie San Antonio FC 1-1 - FC Tulsa
- San Antonio FC Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to Five with 1-1 Draw vs. Tulsa - San Antonio FC
- Rowdies Dominate New York to Claim First Place - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Independence Soldier on in Nashville - Charlotte Independence
- Late Goal Gives Indy Eleven 1-0 Victory over Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
- Nashville SC Held to 1-1 Draw vs. Charlotte Independence: Nissan Recap - Nashville SC
- Budweiser Man of the Match: Lebo Moloto Finds His First Goal of 2019 in 1-1 Draw with Charlotte - Nashville SC
- Pasher Sinks Battery Late in 1-0 Defeat to Indy Eleven - Charleston Battery
- LouCity Draws vs. St. Louis - Louisville City FC
- Legion FC at North Carolina FC Ends in a Draw - Birmingham Legion FC
- North Carolina FC Held to Scoreless Draw against Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- STLFC Earns 0-0 Draw Away to Louisville City FC - Saint Louis FC
- Houston Dynamo Loan Three Defenders to RGV FC for Tonight's Match at H-E-B Park - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Washington Gives Keynote Address at Special Olympics Opening Ceremony - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Hosts IMPACT Event at East Park with Soccer for the Nations - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Randall Leal Called up to Costa Rica National Team for November CONCACAF Nations League Matches
- Doolsta Excited to Compete in First International FIFA 20 Competition of the Season
- Pickens, Tribbett, Davis Named to USL Championship All-Opta First Team
- Samuel Abraham Crowned Champion of Tennessee EA Sports FIFA 20 Challenge
- Nashville SC to Auction 2019 Branded Stadium Signage with All Proceeds Going to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital