Pasher Sinks Battery Late in 1-0 Defeat to Indy Eleven
The Battery were defeated by Indy Eleven 1-0 on Saturday night at Lucas Oil Stadium.
It was a slow start to the match as Indy and the Battery were coming off second-round U.S. Open Cup wins this past Wednesday. While both sides struggled to create many first-half scoring chances, the Battery looked the more dangerous side led by forward Kotaro Higashi. Higashi and the Battery were able to play through the middle of Indy's defensive half, yet the final passes were lacking. Dante Marini would register the Battery's first shot of the half in the 22nd minute but the shot was blocked, and Indy were able to clear.
Former Battery forward Dane Kelly looked the most lively player in the first half challenging for crosses and long passes into the box but was contained by defenders Taylor Mueller and Leland Archer. Joe Kuzminsky played his part in stopping Kelly from scoring against his old club being the first to a number of dangerous balls in the Battery penalty area.
Indy Eleven substitute Tyler Pasher would prove to be the difference in what looked to be a defensive stalemate. Pasher entered the match at halftime for Kenny Walker and made an immediate impact playing down the left side. In his first action of the second half, Pasher whipped in a dangerous cross that missed Kelly and rolled harmlessly out for a goal kick. It was a glimpse of things to come as the midfielder would create a golden chance for Indy forward Thomas Enevoldsen later in the half but Enevoldsen's attempt was up and over the bar.
Pasher would eventually score the game winner for Indy in the 84th minute. Continuing his dangerous runs down the left side, Pasher was able to get around Archer and had a shot high at the near post. Kuzminsky mishandled the shot and the ball deflected up into the back of the Battery goal. Indy would play out the final ten minutes limiting Charleston's chances and looking for a second goal late on a series of successive corners.
"You know, we are two good teams," said coach Anhaeuser after the match. "It was like a chess match early on; we didn't want to show them what we had. We were very patient offensively, but it picked up in the second half. We knew it was going to be a match where one goal won it."
The Battery look to rebound from the loss at MUSC Health Stadium on May 25th as they take on Atlanta United 2 at 7:30 PM. Tickets can be purchased at tickets.charlestonbattery.com or by calling (843) 971-GOAL.
INDY: Newton, Barrett, Ouimette, Hackshaw, Garcia, Matern (Watson 83'), Gibson, Walker (Pasher, YC 51', goal 84'), Farias, Enevoldsen (Osmond 90+5'), Kelly (YC 67')
Substitutes: Farr, Watson, King, Nieto, Pasher, Osmond, Diakhate
CHARLESTON: Kuzminsky, van Schaik, Mueller, Archer, Paterson (Lewis 86'), Candela, Anunga, Piggott (YC 89), Higashi, Marini (Mason 62'), Bosua (Svantesson 68')
Substitutes: Breno, Mason, Lewis, Daley, Svantesson
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 18, 2019
- Frater Nets A Hat Trick Against His Former Club As United Earns 3 Points - New Mexico United
- Phoenix Rising Routs Las Vegas 4-0 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Tacoma Defiance Earns a Point in 1-1 Draw with Reno 1868 FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno 1868 FC Earns a Point on the Road against Tacoma Defiance - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Draws 1-1 against OKC Energy FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Steams over Sacramento Republic 3-1 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Republic FC fall in their first visit to Southwest University Park - Sacramento Republic FC
- Saturday Night's Memphis 901 FC Match Postponed - Memphis 901 FC
- Switchbacks FC Fall to New Mexico United in First Meeting - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Late Equalizer Stuns Toros at Home - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Tulsa Roughnecks Tie San Antonio FC 1-1 - FC Tulsa
- San Antonio FC Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to Five with 1-1 Draw vs. Tulsa - San Antonio FC
- Rowdies Dominate New York to Claim First Place - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Independence Soldier on in Nashville - Charlotte Independence
- Late Goal Gives Indy Eleven 1-0 Victory over Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
- Nashville SC Held to 1-1 Draw vs. Charlotte Independence: Nissan Recap - Nashville SC
- Budweiser Man of the Match: Lebo Moloto Finds His First Goal of 2019 in 1-1 Draw with Charlotte - Nashville SC
- Pasher Sinks Battery Late in 1-0 Defeat to Indy Eleven - Charleston Battery
- LouCity Draws vs. St. Louis - Louisville City FC
- Legion FC at North Carolina FC Ends in a Draw - Birmingham Legion FC
- North Carolina FC Held to Scoreless Draw against Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- STLFC Earns 0-0 Draw Away to Louisville City FC - Saint Louis FC
- Houston Dynamo Loan Three Defenders to RGV FC for Tonight's Match at H-E-B Park - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Washington Gives Keynote Address at Special Olympics Opening Ceremony - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Hosts IMPACT Event at East Park with Soccer for the Nations - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.