Nogowski, Hauschild Headline 6-4 Memphis Win
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - A John Nogowski grand slam was the big blow in a six-run second inning for the Memphis Redbirds, who got a strong start on the mound by Mike Hauschild and shutdown bullpen work in a 6-4 win over the New Orleans Baby Cakes (Marlins) Tuesday night at AutoZone Park.
Nogowski's grand slam came with two outs in the second inning, after Memphis (42-60) had scored on a Max Schrock triple and a Hauschild base hit up the middle. It was Nogowski's 10th home run of the season and Memphis' fifth grand slam as a team.
Hauschild was dominant on the mound through six innings, as he did not allow a baserunner until the fifth inning and just one other until the seventh. New Orleans (53-48) touched him for three runs in the top of the seventh to chase him from the game, but Dominic Leone and Hunter Cervenka made quick work of the Baby Cakes in the final 2.1 innings.
New Orleans had only one baserunner after its three-run home run made the game 6-4.
Hauschild finished his outing with seven strikeouts and one walk in 6.2 innings.
In addition to Nogowski's grand slam and Schrock's triple, Adolis Garcia had a double for the Redbirds.
Randy Arozarena was hit by a pitch and scored a run in the second, and he has now reached base in 23-straight starts.
In his first injury rehab appearance with the Redbirds, St. Louis Cardinals All-Star Matt Carpenter was 0-2 with a walk and a run in a start at third base.
The Redbirds and New Orleans are back in action tomorrow night at 6:35. The series finishes Thursday night at 7:05.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Wednesday, July 24 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, July 25 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; Redbirds Cooler specialty ticket available on Ole Miss Night presented by Sayle Oil; College Night with $5 Bluff tickets for college students with a college ID
Wednesday, July 31 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, August 1 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; College Night with $5 Bluff tickets for college students with a college ID
Friday, August 2 at 7:05: Elvis Night with a free Memphis t-shirt to the first 1,500 fans courtesy of Carvana; All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket presented by Dave & Buster's featuring an all-you-can-eat tacos buffet and a free $15 Dave & Buster's Power Card available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat; Chick-fil-A Friday Family Pack specialty ticket option with free ballpark food and free Chick-fil-A at www.memphisredbirds.com/fridayfamilypack
Saturday, August 3 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Back to School Night presented by Walmart with a free fully-loaded backpack to the first 1,500 kids ages 12 and under; Mystery bobblehead specialty ticket with a random bobblehead; Aldo's Pizza specialty ticket with free soda at the ballpark and free and discounted food and beverages at Aldo's Pizza Pies available at www.memphisredbirds.com/aldos
Sunday, August 4 at 2:05: Redbirds Wiffle Bat giveaway to the first 2,000 fans presented by Prairie Farms Dairy; Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
Monday, August 5 at 6:35: the Redbirds take the field as the Memphis Música as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" series with $3 tacos and $5 Dos Equis available at the stadium
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 23, 2019
- Bees Blowout Albuquerque with Team Record Eight Homers - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Pop Express 9-2 - Round Rock Express
- Bees Overpower Isotopes in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Crush Sounds at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Surrenders Walkoff - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Rally in Ninth Inning to Defeat Iowa - San Antonio Missions
- Nogowski, Hauschild Headline 6-4 Memphis Win - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Rally Falls Short - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Hamels Makes Rehab Start for Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (42-58) vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers (46-54) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (41-60) vs New Orleans Baby Cakes (53-47) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Trying to Rebound from a Lost Weekend - San Antonio Missions
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.