Iowa Surrenders Walkoff
SAN ANTONIO, TX - The Iowa Cubs (56-46) led throughout the game until a three-run ninth inning gave the San Antonio Missions (63-39) a 4-3 walkoff win, Tuesday at Nelson W. Wolff Stadium.
Starter Cole Hamels, on Major League Rehab, spun 2.1 scoreless frames with one hit, three walks and two strikeouts. Iowa gave its starter an early run of support as Johnny Field clubbed a leadoff homer in the second inning to terminate the scoreless game.
Ian Happ sparked an Iowa drive in the fourth with a leadoff double, and quickly crossed home on a Field two-bagger. Field moved to third on P.J. Higgins single, before speeding home on a wild pitch to make it a 3-0 game.
Hernan Perez put up a run for San Antonio with a solo shot in the fourth inning, marking the Missions' only damage until the ninth. I-Cubs pitching walked seven, but allowed just three hits and fanned 10 through eight.
After scoreless outings from Danny Hultzen (1.0IP) and Duane Underwood Jr. (2.0IP), James Norwood took the final frame and sandwiched a walk between a pair of singles to allow a run to score. A sac fly locked the contest before Jacob Nottingham broke from third on contact and was able to swipe the winning run on a fielder's choice.
Norwood fell to 0-2 on the season and Jacob Barnes captured the win with 1.0 shutout frame to improve to 2-0.
- As a reliever, Duane Underwood Jr. holds a 2.88 ERA (8ER/25.0IP) with eight walks and 31 strikeouts in 17 games.
- Johnny Field is 5-for-15 (.333) since coming off the IL.
- Ian Happ went 2-for-4 with a double and a run scored.
Iowa and San Antonio meet for a 7:05 p.m. first pitch tomorrow at Nelson W. Wolff Stadium. RHP Tyson Miller (1-1, 11.12) is slated to face RHP Thomas Jankins (9-3, 4.26). Follow the action on AM 940, TuneIn Radio or MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 23, 2019
- Bees Blowout Albuquerque with Team Record Eight Homers - Salt Lake Bees
- Storm Chasers Pop Express 9-2 - Round Rock Express
- Bees Overpower Isotopes in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Crush Sounds at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Surrenders Walkoff - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Rally in Ninth Inning to Defeat Iowa - San Antonio Missions
- Nogowski, Hauschild Headline 6-4 Memphis Win - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Rally Falls Short - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Hamels Makes Rehab Start for Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (42-58) vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers (46-54) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (41-60) vs New Orleans Baby Cakes (53-47) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Trying to Rebound from a Lost Weekend - San Antonio Missions
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.