New York Red Bulls International Round-Up; Six Received Call-Ups
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have six players to compete with their respective national teams during the September FIFA international window. Aaron Long (USMNT), Kemar Lawrence (Jamaica) and Michael Amir Murillo (Panama) return to their respective national teams after the 2019 Gold Cup, while Kaku joins Paraguay and Omir Fernandez and Kyle Duncan head to the U.S Under-23 Men's National team camp.
Long, an Oak Hills, California, native, continues to be a regular for the USMNT as he will build upon his recent Gold Cup tournament performance. The 26-year-old centerback has made 11 appearances for his country, starting in all 11 and wearing the captain's armband for two. Long helped anchor the USMNT's backline to three clean sheets en route to a runner-up finish in the 2019 Gold Cup. During the Gold Cup stretch, he recorded his first two career goals with the national team in a 6-0 rout of Trinidad and Tobago.
Lawrence, who eclipsed 50 caps with Jamaica, returns to his native country that he helped reach the 2019 Gold Cup Semifinal. The Reggae Boyz primary left back started all five Gold Cup matches and helped anchor a backline to two clean sheets. Lawrence and Jamaica will face Antigua & Barbuda (Sept. 6) and Guyana (Sept. 9) for the Group Stage of the 2019-20 Concacaf Nations League.
Murillo heads back with the Panamanian national team after a 2019 Gold Cup run that fell short in the quarterfinals to teammate Lawrence and Jamaica, 1-0. The Panamanian right back played in all three group stage matches and the quarterfinal match, tallying one assist in 284 minutes. Murillo and Panama will face Bermuda in a home-and-home series, beginning on September 5 and finishing on September 8 for the Group Stage of the 2019-20 Concacaf Nations League.
Kaku rejoins the Paraguayan National team for the first time since being called in for the 2019 March camp for international friendlies against Peru and Mexico. The Red Bulls Designated Player has appeared in three previous matches for Paraguay, tallying one start and 144 minutes played. Kaku and Paraguay will have road international friendlies during the September camp, traveling to Japan (Sept. 5) and Jordan (Sept. 10).
Fernandez and Duncan will join the U.S. U-23 Men's national team to face Japan on Sept. 9 in Chula Vista, California. The team will gather for a training camp from Sept. 1-10 at the Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center, just south of San Diego. Duncan recently attended the combined senior, U-23 training camp ahead of the 2019 Gold Cup tournament in late-May, early-June. Fernandez made his most recent appearance at the national stage with three-team U.S. Soccer National Team training camp in January. He has also competed at the U-14, U-15 and U-18 National team camps.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 3, 2019
- Seven Additional Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Paredes, Zambrano, Flores Called up for International Matches - Portland Timbers
- Major League Soccer Announces Flex Scheduling Change for September 15 Sounders FC Match vs. New York Red Bulls - Seattle Sounders FC
- Major League Soccer Announces Time, Broadcast Changes for Timbers' September 15 Home Match against D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Defender A.J. DeLaGarza to Miss 8-12 Weeks with Right Foot Fracture - Houston Dynamo
- 11 Impact Players to Celebrate Soccer in Terrebonne this Friday, September 6 - Montreal Impact
- MLS Flex Schedule Showcases Push to Audi MLS Cup Playoffs During ESPN, FS1 Broadcasts on Sunday, September 15 - MLS
- MLS Flex Schedule Showcases Push to Audi MLS Cup Playoffs During ESPN, FS1 Broadcasts on Sunday, September 15 - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2022 MLS SuperDraft Pick from Inter Miami CF for David Norman - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New York Red Bulls Staff Garner National Sports Industry Accolades - New York Red Bulls
- Minnesota United FC Forward Mason Toye Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Mason Toye Named Player of the Week - Minnesota United FC
- MNUFC Acquires General Allocation Money and Draft Pick from Chicago Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire Exchanges General Allocation Money (GAM) with Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 3, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls International Round-Up; Six Received Call-Ups - New York Red Bulls
- Gold Cup Finalists U.S. and Mexico Square off Friday on FS1, Univision - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- White's Late-Match Equalizer Secures Point from Orlando City
- New York and Orlando City Conclude Home-And-Home at RBA
- Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United Again, 1-0, in 2020
- New York Red Bulls Name Bernd Eibler Assistant Coach
- New York and Toronto FC Clash at Rentschler Field on Wednesday